On Monday and Tuesday, November 12-13, the communications team will be out of the office for a U.S. federal holiday and a team event. We will be back in action on November 14th and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thank you for using the forum.

Gathering job resource usage stats from backend

After I've run a task on a backend, I'd like to gather resource usage stats of the task (memory, CPU, etc.). When using SGE, one can achieve this by running qacct -j {job_id}. Is there a way to retrieve these stats with WDL / Cromwell?

I guess if Cromwell allowed running something like a "post-job-retire" command, one could parametrise it with "run qacct" (in the same sense that one can parametrise how to submit, abort, or check if a job is a alive).

Thank you!

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• RuchiRuchi Member, Broadie, Moderator, Dev admin

Hey @ocampoernesto

There's an option called monitoring_script which is a reference to script that's run in the background to collect data like memory and disk usage. I'm attaching an example monitoring script (couldn't attach it with a .sh extension so it's attached as .sh.txt, and docs on how to specify this option. You can modify the given script to your needs. This option generates a file called "monitoring.log" for each task in a workflow -- which contains the output from the monitoring script.

• Hi @Ruchi thanks for the reply.

I'd seen the monitoring script before, I think it's good for monitoring the task's resource usage as it runs. However, I'm more after something that will give me the totals after a task has finished, like total CPU time used, total IO used, max RSS, etc.

I guess running stuff under /usr/bin/time and then collecting the results manually could be a workaround, although one would have to add a bit of code to each task.

It would be interesting to be able to query workflows / tasks via REST, and from the results, calculate how much CPU / IO a given task consumes. I understand this would be a quite involved piece of work though.

Thanks!