Avoid copying input files

I noticed while testing my .wdl script that input files are copied into the respectively generated cromwell-execution subfolder. However, I expect in my actual analyses that the input files may be huge (several gigabytes per file, many files). Is there a way to avoid copying the files?

Thank you!

Comments

• KateNKateN Cambridge, MAMember, Broadie, Moderator admin

By default, Cromwell tries 3 localization strategies when gathering your input files for a run. They are applied in the following order, in succession until one works.

• hard-link - This will create a hard link (not symbolic) link to the file
    • soft-link - Create a symbolic link to the file. This strategy is not applicable for tasks which specify a Docker image and will be ignored.
    • copy - Make a copy the file

This default order can be overwritten by specifying a new order in the config file, or on the command line. As the config file is located within the source code of Cromwell, the simplest way to specify a new order is on the command line, e.g.

java -Dfilesystems.local.localization="newOrder" ...

I suspect a soft-link will solve your issue here. If you would like more information on modifying the config file itself, you can read this section of the Cromwell spec.