To celebrate the release of GATK 4.0, we are giving away free credits for running the GATK4 Best Practices pipelines in FireCloud, our secure online analysis portal. It’s first come first serve, so sign up now to claim your free credits worth $250. Sponsored by Google Cloud. Learn more at https://software.broadinstitute.org/firecloud/documentation/freecredits

Handling optional workflow input

Hello. Here is the simple example of workflow with optional input:

workflow wf {
    String? inn
    call tsk_grep { input: input_381012639=inn }
    }

task tsk_grep {
    String? input_381012639
    command { ps aux | grep j${"a" + input_381012639}
    }
}

When i do not specify any input for workflow(json file below):

{
}

i get an the error:
wdl4s.WdlExpressionException: Could not resolve inn as a scatter variable, namespace, call, or declaration

But when my workflow looks like this:

workflow wf {
    call tsk_grep
    }

task tsk_grep {
    String? input_381012639
    command { ps aux | grep j${"a" + input_381012639}
    }
}

Cromwell works as expected executing ps aux | grep j.
Is this a bug or i can only use optional variables inside of task scope?

Answers

• KateNKateN Cambridge, MAMember, Broadie, Moderator

Optional variables, at this time, can only be used in the task scope. You can declare the value of the optional task-level variable directly from your json, using:

{
    "wf.tsk_grep.input_381012639" : "value"
    }

Or, specify a blank json to not use a value for the optional input. This method requires deleting the inn variable entirely.

A second option allows you to either pass in a fixed workflow level variable or not. Declare inn without the optional modifier, ?, then you can call your task with or without specifying the input value:

call tsk_grep{ input : input_381012639=inn }
    call tsk_grep

In this method, you would have to declare a value for inn in your json, but not one for the input_381012639.