Heads up:
We’re moving the GATK website, docs and forum to a new platform. Read the full story and breakdown of key changes on this blog.
Update: July 26, 2019
This section of the forum is now closed; we are working on a new support model for WDL that we will share here shortly. For Cromwell-specific issues, see the Cromwell docs and post questions on Github.

Variable Resolution

Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie admin

Inside of expressions, variables are resolved differently depending on if the expression is in a task declaration or a workflow declaration

Task-Level Resolution

Inside a task, resolution is trivial: The variable referenced MUST be a declaration of the task. For example:

task my_task {
  Array[String] strings
  command {
    python analyze.py --strings-file=${write_lines(strings)}
  }
}

Inside of this task, there exists only one expression: write_lines(strings). In here, when the expression evaluator tries to resolve strings, which must be a declaration of the task (in this case it is).

Workflow-Level Resolution

In a workflow, resolution works by traversing the scope heirarchy starting from expression that references the variable.

workflow wf {
  String s = "wf_s"
  String t = "t"
  call my_task {
    String s = "my_task_s"
    input: in0 = s+"-suffix", in1 = t+"-suffix"
  }
}

In this example, there are two expressions: s+"-suffix" and t+"-suffix". s is resolved as "my_task_s" and t is resolved as "t".