Update: July 26, 2019
This section of the forum is now closed; we are working on a new support model for WDL that we will share here shortly. For Cromwell-specific issues, see the Cromwell docs and post questions on Github.

Scatter - Gather

Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie admin

The scatter block is meant to parallelize a series of identical tasks but give them slightly different inputs. The simplest example is:

task inc {
  Int i

command <<<
  python -c "print(${i} + 1)"
  >>>

output {
    Int incremented = read_int(stdout())
  }
}

workflow wf {
  Array[Int] integers = [1,2,3,4,5]
  scatter(i in integers) {
    call inc{input: i=i}
  }
}

Running this workflow (which needs no inputs), would yield a value of [2,3,4,5,6] for wf.inc. While task inc itself returns an Int, when it is called inside a scatter block, that type becomes an Array[Int].

Any task that's downstream from the call to inc and outside the scatter block must accept an Array[Int]:

task inc {
  Int i

command <<<
  python -c "print(${i} + 1)"
  >>>

output {
    Int incremented = read_int(stdout())
  }
}

task sum {
  Array[Int] ints

command <<<
  python -c "print(${sep="+" ints})"
  >>>

output {
    Int sum = read_int(stdout())
  }
}

workflow wf {
  scatter (i in integers) {
    call inc {input: i=i}
  }
  call sum {input: ints = inc.increment}
}

This workflow will output a value of 20 for wf.sum.sum. This works because call inc will output an Array[Int] because it is in the scatter block.

However, from inside the scope of the scatter block, the output of call inc is still an Int. So the following is valid:

workflow wf {
  scatter(i in integers) {
    call inc {input: i=i}
    call inc as inc2 {input: i=inc.incremented}
  }
  call sum {input: ints = inc2.increment}
}

In this example, inc and inc2 are being called in serial where the output of one is fed to another. inc2 would output the array [3,4,5,6,7]