Update: July 26, 2019
This section of the forum is no longer actively monitored. We are working on a support migration plan that we will share here shortly. Apologies for this inconvenience.

Inputs for nested workflows in cromwell 36+

Redmar_van_den_BergRedmar_van_den_Berg Member ✭✭

Hi all,

All the way back in 2017, I raised an issue on the forum about inputs for nested workflows, and the need to explicitly specify all inputs for the inner workflows that you want to have available in the outer workflows.

I noticed that with cromwell 36, this requirement is no longer present, and womtool inputs will list all inputs that are available for all nested workflows. Furthermore, these deeply nested inputs are also used as expected by cromwell if they are specified in workflow_settings.json (earlier, they were ignored when specified, see the linked issue).

Needless to say, I am very happy with these changes, as they make it a lot easier to work with nested workflows. However, I am curious to know if this new behaviour is specific to cromwell, or if it has been made part of the latest WDL spec, which means that workflows that make use if this new behaviour can be used with all supported execution engines.