Update: July 26, 2019
This section of the forum is now closed; we are working on a new support model for WDL that we will share here shortly. For Cromwell-specific issues, see the Cromwell docs and post questions on Github.

Scatter generates RequestingExecutionToken on Timing Diagram

Hi,
When I set the concurrent-job-limit=1in my config file, scatter clause (like the example below), doesn't seem to work as I thought. From the timing diagram I could tell that after completion of the first task, the second task does not kick-in. Rather, I see a message 'RequestingExecutionToken' when I hover-over its time line.

Could you please tell me what the issue is, and if there's a way around it?

Many thanks,
Dorjee

Array[Int] indices = range(10) # Will produce [0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9]
scatter(i in indices) {
    call slight_delay as first_delay { input: delay = i }
    call slight_delay as second_delay { input: delay = first_delay.delay_plus_1}
}

Answers

• ChrisLChrisL Cambridge, MAMember, Broadie, Moderator, Dev admin

Hi Dorjee - this might be working as expected.

When one shard's first_delay task completes, Cromwell considers the second_delay task eligible to start, but it isn't necessarily the only task eligible to start - you might still have a bunch of first_delays still waiting too. Since you're limiting Cromwell to start one job at a time, when it has space it will pick one of the eligible tasks, and start it - and not necessarily in the same order that you would chose!

The difference in time between a task being eligible to run and actually starting to run is called "RequestingExecutionToken" on the timing diagram. That's just Cromwell's way of saying "ready to start, but on-hold because I'm already at my concurrent job limit"

So when I ran your example, with a concurrent limit of 1, I see the same thing. Dark green was "RequestingExecutionToken". And light blue was "RunningJob":

Notice that the second_delays become ready to start as soon as the corresponding first_delay is complete, but also notice that there is only ever one job in "RunningJob" state at any one time.

Based on your comments in the OpenWDL thread, I think the problem you have is that you want to execute the tasks depth-first rather than breadth-first.

If a graph looks like:
    A1 -> B1
    A2 -> B2
    A3 -> B3

Then the partial order allows you to serialize those tasks as either:
    A1, A2, A3, B1, B2, B3, or
    A1, B1, A2, B2, A3, B3
    (there's actually more but these two would represent breadth-first and depth-first)

WDL only specifies the graph, it's up to the engine to choose the order - and Cromwell tends to pick older tasks in preference to newer ones. So long as your tasks don't have side-effects unknown to the WDL, which order is chosen ideally shouldn't actually make much difference to you?

• DorjeeDorjee Member

Hi Chris,

I really appreciate your detailed clarification on this.

What I understand is (please correct me if I'm wrong) the actual order of task execution is up to the Cromwell engine, ie I can't tell the engine to always execute the tasks depth-first. But it tends to pick older tasks in preference to newer ones. So, my approach/example in the OpenWDL thread is a step in the right direction?

Also, this may be a dumb one, what defines a task newer or older when calling from a WF?

Thanks a lot,
    Dorjee

• DorjeeDorjee Member

I understand that when first_delay task completes, Cromwell considers the second_delay task eligible to start (ie, queued). Since, we have bunch of first_delays still waiting, I've noticed that none of the waiting second_delays get executed until all the first_delays are completed.

Eg: timing diagram below shows that the second_delay.8 has just started running only after all the first_delay tasks have completed. I was expecting second_delay.8 start soon after the first_delay.8. Am I missing something here. Please, help.

By "oldest" I just mean "have been waiting the longest".

So in your example, all of the first_delays go first because they are waiting since time 11 on your time scale, whereas second_delay:8 has been waiting only since time 18. Does that answer the question?

Just for my information - is it important to your workflow that things have to happen A,B,A,B,A,B rather than A,A,A,B,B,B? Or are you just trying to understand Cromwell's scheduling?

• DorjeeDorjee Member

Thanks, Chris.

Yes, it's kinda important that the workflow happens in A, B, A, B, A, B order because the idea is, as soon as expected results are generated with first A -> B, they can be immediately made available for review/interpretation (time sensitive data) while the remaining workflow tasks keep on going.

• DorjeeDorjee Member

I guess, I'm just curious to know if I could tell Cromwell to execute the tasks depth-first.
    Thanks,

Hey Dorjee -

Right now there's no way to make Cromwell go depth first but I don't think there's any reason why it couldn't one day.

In fact this has come up before in other contexts so you're definitely not the only person asking for it!