Update: July 26, 2019
This section of the forum is no longer actively monitored. We are working on a support migration plan that we will share here shortly. Apologies for this inconvenience.

Calling sub() on a (localized) File

Hi,

I'm running a workflow on the AWS Batch back end.

There is an input File whose name and value in my input.json is something like this:

"ref_fasta": "s3://bucket-name/hackathon2018/bundle/hg38/Homo_sapiens_assembly38.fasta.gz",

Inside the workflow if I refer to ${ref_fasta} in a command {} section it expands to:

/cromwell_root/bucket-name/hackathon2018/bundle/hg38/Homo_sapiens_assembly38.fasta.gz

I would like to take that representation and run sub() on it, removing the .gz extension.
I tried this:

String ref_fasta_without_suffix = sub(ref_fasta, ".gz", "")

The problem is that the sub() operation appears to work on the original S3 URL form of ref_fasta, so it ends up looking like this:

echo ${ref_fasta_without_suffix}

Prints out:

s3://bucket-name/hackathon2018/bundle/hg38/Homo_sapiens_assembly38.fasta

When what I wanted was:

/cromwell_root/bucket-name/hackathon2018/bundle/hg38/Homo_sapiens_assembly38.fasta

Is there a way to specify the file system representation of a File when running something like sub()?

Best Answer

Answers

• dtenenbadtenenba Member
    Accepted Answer

Worked around this by making the change in bash, not in wdl:

gunzip ${ref_fasta}
    gunzipped_ref_fasta=$(echo ${ref_fasta} | sed "s/\.gz//")
    echo $gunzipped_ref_fasta

• ChrisLChrisL Cambridge, MAMember, Broadie, Moderator, Dev admin

@dtenenba I suspect that if you called sub within an expression placeholder (${}) inside the command block you'd get what you wanted - but I like your way better tbh since it's guaranteed to be working on the right file path for that VM