Update: July 26, 2019
This section of the forum is no longer actively monitored. We are working on a support migration plan that we will share here shortly. Apologies for this inconvenience.

Best way to have set an optional file argument based on a boolean value?

jonnjonn Member, Broadie, Moderator, Dev admin
edited December 2018 in Ask the Cromwell + WDL Team

I'm working on a validation WDL and I'm looking for a way to pass in an optional interval file to my tasks based on whether a boolean value is true. I can't make the file optional at the workflow level.

I'm currently doing the following:

Boolean isUsingIntervals = sub(inputBaseName, "Pond.*", "") != "Nex"
File? garbageFile
File? interval_list_final = if !isUsingIntervals then interval_list else garbageFile

This way the interval_list_final gets set to the empty optional File garbageFile in the case I don't want to use it.

However, this seems like I'm doing something wrong. Is there a better way to do this?

Answers

• RuchiRuchi Member, Broadie, Moderator, Dev admin

Hey @jonn

Question -- why cant be intervals file be optional?

Usually, I would recommend the logic to be simply an optional intervals file, where passing in a value for it means to run a workflow using those intervals, and the lack of that file is an indicator to run the workflow without it.

workflow w {
    File? intervals 

call someTask { 
      input:
        intervalsFile = intervals 
    }
    }

task someTask {
      File? intervalsFile
      String cmd = if(defined(intervalsFile)) { "--intervals ${intervalsFile}" } else ""

command {
      echo ${cmd}
      }
    }

Let me know if this doesn't help your exact case...

• ChrisLChrisL Cambridge, MAMember, Broadie, Moderator, Dev admin

@jonn for now, your garbage file might well be the best solution.

Hopefully an upcoming new version of WDL will have a better placeholder for empty optionals: None (see https://github.com/openwdl/wdl/pull/263 - and if you watch that PR then you can vote to approve it for the upcoming version of the SPEC when it opens for public voting)