S3 Example fails

Trying to follow the example at https://docs.opendata.aws/genomics-workflows/cromwell/cromwell-examples/#using-data-on-s3
I have copied the meats.txt file to my bucket (specified in aws.conf see, below).
The error I get is:

cat: /cromwell_root/aws-cromwell-test-us-east-1/meats.txt: No such file or directory

I wondered if this is some kind of region issue. Originally my region was set to us-west-2 because pretty much all of our AWS infrastructure is in us-west-2. However, I commented out the line which set the region to us-west-2 (setting the region back to the default, us-east-1) and got the same result.

Any idea why this failed? So far I've not been able to use S3 in Cromwell on AWS Batch so getting past this would be a major step.

Thanks.

Contents of aws.conf:

include required(classpath("application"))

aws {

application-name = "cromwell"

auths = [
    {
      name = "default"
      scheme = "default"
    }
  ]

// diff 1:
//////////////  region = "us-west-2" // uses region from ~/.aws/config set by aws configure command,
                     // or us-east-1 by default
}

engine {
  filesystems {
    s3 {
      auth = "default"
    }
  }
}

backend {
  default = "AWSBATCH"
  providers {
    AWSBATCH {
      actor-factory = "cromwell.backend.impl.aws.AwsBatchBackendLifecycleActorFactory"
      config {
        // Base bucket for workflow executions
        root = "s3://fh-div-adm-scicomp-cromwell-tests/"

// A reference to an auth defined in the `aws` stanza at the top.  This auth is used to create
        // Jobs and manipulate auth JSONs.
        auth = "default"

// diff 2:
        numSubmitAttempts = 1
        // diff 3:
        numCreateDefinitionAttempts = 1

default-runtime-attributes {
          queueArn: "arn:aws:batch:us-west-2:064561331775:job-queue/GenomicsHighPriorityQue-b5b20a668266f48"
        }

filesystems {
          s3 {
            // A reference to a potentially different auth for manipulating files via engine functions.
            auth = "default"
          }
        }
      }
    }
  }
}

Tagged:

Best Answer

• dtenenbadtenenba
    Accepted Answer

Boy am I dumb. I had not edited s3inputs.json to use my bucket name, so it was still using s3://aws-cromwell-test-us-east-1/meats.txt. I edited it and everything works fine. It would probably be good for the example to mention explicitly that you need to edit this json file.

Answers

• dtenenbadtenenba Member
    Accepted Answer

Boy am I dumb. I had not edited s3inputs.json to use my bucket name, so it was still using s3://aws-cromwell-test-us-east-1/meats.txt. I edited it and everything works fine. It would probably be good for the example to mention explicitly that you need to edit this json file.