AWS Batch - how to use pre-existing job definition or specify docker container

The documentation for using Cromwell with AWS Batch does not tell me how to use either a pre-existing job definition or how to specify the docker image used. If I run the demo, it creates a job definition using the ubuntu:latest. How do I specify a different docker image?

Tagged:

Answers

• dtenenbadtenenba Member

I also need to know how to specify an instance role so that the job can have access to the S3 bucket that I have specified.

OK, I figured out how to set the docker image. I do that in my WDL file (I assumed it was done in the AWS configuration file).

But I still need to know how to set a job role ARN so that my job can access the S3 bucket defined in aws.conf. I see some reference to "assume_role" and "base-auth" and "role-arn". Not sure what "base-auth" should be and I don't know what the syntax for this should be in the conf file. An example would be wonderful.

Thanks.

• wleepangwleepang Member

Currently, jobs submitted from Cromwell do not use job roles. Access to S3 in this case would be managed via the InstanceProfile that is attached to instances launched from Batch. You would do this from the IAM console.

If you use the "All-in-One" CloudFormation template provided at:

docs.opendata.aws/genomics-workflows/cromwell/cromwell-aws-batch

everything will be preconfigured and running.

Hi Lee, nice to hear from you (this is Dan Tenenbaum).

Currently at my institution each PI has their own S3 bucket but they all share a single AWS account (we are in the process of changing this, but that's how it is for now). So we would like each user to use only their PI's bucket.

I was actually able to get a job to work with a different bucket than the one that's baked into the config (created by CloudFormation), by adding the following to my aws.conf:

# in auths section:
        {
            name = "assume-role-based-on-another"
            scheme = "assume_role"
            base-auth = "default"
            role-arn = "arn:aws:iam::<ACCOUNT_NUMBER>:role/<NAME_OF_ROLE>"
        }    

Then changing root to the bucket associated with role-arn, and changing engine.filesystems.s3.auth to assume-role-based-on-another.