Optional WDL Inputs to Toggle Flag

Hi,

The WDL Spec describes a situation similar to what I'm trying to do here:

https://github.com/broadinstitute/wdl/blob/develop/SPEC.md#prepending-a-string-to-an-optional-parameter

In this case, I assume that Cromwell knows that it should do the "--val" here because of the concatenation with the val parameters contents. However, my problem is that I do not want to concatenate the contents of val, because my flag is a toggle that does not take a parameter. So what I want is that if val is specified, I just want:

python script.py --val

and if it is not, I want

python script.py

How can I accomplish this with the constraints of the WDL language?

Answers

• danbdanb Member, Broadie ✭✭✭

You can accomplish this by declaring a boolean flag and then running a bash if statement,

if [ ${flag} ]
    then
      python script.py --val
    else
      python script.py
    fi

• amr@broadinstitute.orge[email protected] Member, Broadie
    edited March 15

Sorry, I neglected to mention that my "python script.py" is wrapped inside a command line python call within the command block of the WDL task, so bash won't work, and apparently command line python doesn't accept expressions, only statements.

• danbdanb Member, Broadie ✭✭✭

Could you paste your command?

so bash won't work, and apparently command line python doesn't accept expressions, only statements.

I don't think these statements are accurate as ultimately the command is a bash statement, and can be parameterized via an expression.

• RuchiRuchi Member, Broadie, Moderator, Dev admin

Alternatively, you could also try:

task test {
      String? val
      command <<<
        python script.py ${"--val=" + val}
      >>>
    }

• ChrisLChrisL Cambridge, MAMember, Broadie, Moderator, Dev admin
    edited March 23

@Ruchi I think that won't help because the val isn't wanted. Luckily the WDL if then else should help:

EDIT: Oops, I think you wanted the --val to be --${val}? I think this should work:

task test {
      String? val
      String cmdLineVal = if isDefined(val) then "--${val}" else ""
      command <<<
        python script.py ${cmdLineVal}
      >>>
    }