Checking Executables

Hi,

I am trying to check if the executables used in my wdl code exist but I receive an error when I try to validate my wdl script. The ${BWA} variable holds the path to the BWA executable. May i know if there is a way to do this.

command {

type ${BWA} >/dev/null 2>&1 || { echo >&2 "BWA not installed.  Aborting."; exit 1; }

# BWA Mem Tool is used to create aligned SAM file from the input FASTA File
      ${BWA} mem -t 12 -M -k 32 -I 300,30 -R "@RG\tID:lane1\tLB:${sampleName}\tPL:illumina\tPU:lane1\tSM:lane1\tCN:${sampleName}" ${RefFasta} ${Input_Read1} ${Input_Read2} | ${SAMTOOL} view [email protected] 2 -bSu -> ${sampleName}.aligned.bam

}

The error that I receive is :smile:

Unrecognized token on line 41, column 7:

${BWA} mem -t 12 -M -k 32 -I 300,30 -R "@RG\tID:lane1\tLB:${sampleName}\tPL:illumina\tPU:lane1\tSM:lane1\tCN:${sampleName}" ${RefFasta} ${Input_Read1} ${Input_Read2} | ${SAMTOOL} view [email protected] 2 -bSu -> ${sampleName}.aligned.bam
      ^
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• RuchiRuchi Member, Broadie, Moderator, Dev

Hey @ramshankar1990,

In WDL, the ${} syntax is reserved for workflow/task variables. In your case, is String BWA a task input? Can you paste the entire task (along with the inputs)? Thanks!

• task BWA_Mem {

File Input_Read1             # Input Read File                (REQUIRED)
       File Input_Read2             # Input Read File                (Optional)
       String sampleName            # Name of the Sample
       File RefFasta                # Reference FASTA file           (REQUIRED)

File Ref_Amb_File            #
       File Ref_Dict_File           #
       File Ref_Ann_File            #
       File Ref_bwt_File            # These are reference files that are provided as implicit inputs
       File Ref_fai_File            # to the WDL Tool to help perform the alignment
       File Ref_pac_File            #
       File Ref_sa_File             #

String BWA                   # Variable path to BWA MEM Tool
       String SAMTOOL               # variable path to Samtools
       String Exit_Code             # Variable capture exit code
       String FilePath

command {

type ${BWA} >/dev/null 2>&1 || { echo >&2 "BWA not installed.  Aborting."; exit 1; }

# BWA Mem Tool is used to create aligned SAM file from the input FASTA File

# The 'if' check to see if any of the samples have failed this step
          if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
             echo '${sampleName} has failed at the BWA Mem Step ' >> ${Exit_Code}
          fi
       }

# The output block is where the output of the program is stored.
       # glob function is used to capture the multi sample outputs
       output {
          Array[File] Aligned_Bam = glob("${sampleName}.aligned.bam")
       }

# Runtime block specifies the Cromwell Engine of runtime attributes to customize the environment for the call
       runtime {
          continueOnReturnCode: true
       }

}  # End of task block