Forum Login Issue:
Currently the "Log in with Google" button redirects you to a "Page not found." This is an issue that our forum vendors are working on fixing. In the meantime, while on the "Page not found" you can edit the URL to delete the second gatk, firecloud, or wdl (depending on what subforum you are acessing).
ex: https://gatkforums.broadinstitute.org/gatk/gatk/entry/...

Error when using `prefix()` with an optional array.

Is it possible to use prefix() with an optional input?

I was trying to do something like this:

task DoSomething {
    Array[File] ? intervals = []

command {
        ${sep=" " prefix("--intervals ", intervals)}
    }
}

However I get this error:
java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: Could not evaluate expression: prefix("--intervals", intervals)

But it works as expected when I use it this way:

task DoSomething {
    Array[File] intervals

command {
        ${sep=" " prefix("--intervals ", intervals)}
    }
}

Is this expected? Or am I doing something wrong?

Answers

• mcovarrmcovarr Cambridge, MAMember, Broadie, Dev

That behavior is consistent with the specification. You should be able to use select_first to choose between the optional array and an empty array to do what I think you're trying to do.

• ChrisLChrisL Cambridge, MAMember, Broadie, Moderator, Dev
    edited December 2017

@TheCanesBoy2010 more detail:

An optional array is different from an empty array.
    You can have an empty non-optional array (Array[File] intervals = [])
    You can have an optional array which is given a value with entries (Array[File]? intervals = ["/path/to/a", "/path/to/b"])

If it helps, you might think of it as the difference between:

• On the one hand being forced to supply an array, but the array you supplied is allowed to have 0 elements (Array[File])
    • On the other hand, being allowed to choose whether or not to supply an array at all - and of course the array you choose to supply can still be empty ((Array[File]?)

You might also be interested in the non-empty array modifier, which guarantees that the array has at least one element: Array[File]+ intervals = ["/path/to/a"].

One last twist, you can also have an optional non-empty array: Array[File]+?, in this case you're free to supply a value, or not, but if you do choose to supply a value, it must have at least one entry in it.

• orodehorodeh Mountain View, CAMember

The last bit was really surprising to me. I did not realize that a type like Array[File]+? exists. I have never seen code that uses it.

Perhaps the existence of this type should be clearly mentioned in the SPEC, or, explicitly disallowed.

• ChrisLChrisL Cambridge, MAMember, Broadie, Moderator, Dev

@orodeh yeah, it's a natural extension of the facts that

• Array[File]+ is a non-empty array
    • Any type can be made optional

But I agree, it might be a good idea to call it out explicitly since it does look kinda funny

• orodehorodeh Mountain View, CAMember

For context, in the DNAnexus type system, we have optional and non-empty, but not both. The dxWDL compiler converts between the WDL type system, and the native type system. Seeing this post, I realized that there is a WDL type that lacks a natural DNAx representation.

• edited February 13

Awesome. Thanks @ChrisL this helps a lot