To celebrate the release of GATK 4.0, we are giving away free credits for running the GATK4 Best Practices pipelines in FireCloud, our secure online analysis portal. It’s first come first serve, so sign up now to claim your free credits worth $250. Sponsored by Google Cloud. Learn more at https://software.broadinstitute.org/firecloud/documentation/freecredits

Alphanumerical ID naming system in Cromwell

Hi,

I have been using Cromwell/WDL for sometime now and I am still trying to figure out some of the nuances associated with it. I am currently trying to formulate a MultiSample MultiStep Variant Calling Workflow and I am actually having trouble with the naming system thats being used for the successful runs. For eg if I am running a workflow that is operating on 25 samples at a time, at the end of the workflow there is random ID that is generated and there is also a directory created with the same name. Inside that directory there is a separate folder for each of the sample.

May I know if I can give these folders a meaning full name by defining the name somewhere in my wdl code or do I have to do it Manually after every run. The reason I ask is, if I wanna go back and check a certain output it becomes tough to check each folder to see if thats the one with the information that I require.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank the wdl team for your prompt responses for the queries I have posted in the past.

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• mcovarrmcovarr Cambridge, MAMember, Broadie, Dev

Hello @ramshankar1990, this alphanumerical ID is the workflow ID Cromwell assigns when it accepts a workflow submission. When a workflow is submitted Cromwell returns the assigned workflow ID in the submission response. So if you capture these workflow IDs you should know which UUID corresponds to which submission.

• Hello, thank you very much, this is good to know. I will pursue it.

Could you please also help me with the second part of my question? I would like the output folder for each sample to be named according to the sample name, e.g. NA12878/, as opposed to shard1/

Is there a way to do this dynamically from within my workflow code? I could probably have my code rename output folders after the workflow has finished running, but that would not help my analysts debug the workflow if there is a failure mid-run. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks much!