To celebrate the release of GATK 4.0, we are giving away free credits for running the GATK4 Best Practices pipelines in FireCloud, our secure online analysis portal. It’s first come first serve, so sign up now to claim your free credits worth $250. Sponsored by Google Cloud. Learn more at https://software.broadinstitute.org/firecloud/documentation/freecredits

Possible bug in write_lines()

ebanksebanks Broad InstituteMember, Broadie, Dev

I showed this to some folks from the Cromwell team and they said it looked suspicious enough that I should post it here.

On a recent workflow (7ccafab8-72c5-4f1c-8a09-0cbcb4855c47) that Sam N ran, the GatherMetrics task failed with a weird error:

{u'failures': [{u'message': u"Couldn't resolve all inputs for JointGenotyping.GatherMetrics at index None.", u'causedBy': [{u'message': u'Input evaluation for Call JointGenotyping.GatherMetrics failed.', u'causedBy': [{u'message': u'input_details_fofn', u'causedBy': [{u'message': u'Cannot TSV serialize a Array[File?] (valid types are Array[Primitive], Array[Array[Primitive]], or Array[Object])', u'causedBy': []}]}, {u'message': u'input_summaries_fofn', u'causedBy': [{u'message': u'Cannot TSV serialize a Array[File?] (valid types are Array[Primitive], Array[Array[Primitive]], or Array[Object])', u'causedBy': []}]}]}]}], u'attempt': 1, u'shardIndex': -1, u'executionStatus': u'Failed'}

The WDL has the following call:

call GatherMetrics {
input:
input_details_fofn = write_lines(CollectMetricsSharded.detail_metrics_file),
input_summaries_fofn = write_lines(CollectMetricsSharded.summary_metrics_file),
output_prefix = callset_name,
disk_size = medium_disk
}

So it's looking like Cromwell doesn't like invoking write_lines with an Array[File] as input (as opposed to Array[String]. I think that's a bug (assuming this is the correct diagnosis).

Please let me know if you need any more info.
Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• ThibThib CambridgeMember, Broadie, Dev

Do you know which version of Cromwell this was run with ?

• ThibThib CambridgeMember, Broadie, Dev

I ran this WDL successfully on Cromwell 29_hotfix which makes me think this might have been fixed already

task cat_file {
        File f
        command {
            cat ${f}
        }
        runtime {
            docker: "ubuntu:latest"
        }
        output {
            String o = read_string(stdout())
        }
    }