To celebrate the release of GATK 4.0, we are giving away free credits for running the GATK4 Best Practices pipelines in FireCloud, our secure online analysis portal. It’s first come first serve, so sign up now to claim your free credits worth $250. Sponsored by Google Cloud. Learn more at https://software.broadinstitute.org/firecloud/documentation/freecredits

String expanding to array after scatter block

I am puzzled by the way scatter works, and especially how it seems to expand a string variable into an array. Here is an example of the code that got me confused:

workflow wf {
  scatter (bam in FastqToBam.out_bam) {
    String sub_strip_path = "/my_hardcoded_path/.*/"
    call do_something{input: in_bam=bam}
  }

call task2 {
    input: in = do_something.out,
    basename = sub(do_something.out, sub_strip_path, "")  ### <- Oooops, string got expanded b/c scatter
  }

String sub_strip_path = "/my_hardcoded_path/.*/"  ### Ooops, re-assigning a variable is not allowed
}

So first of all, I was stupid and defined the sub_strip_path inside the scope of the scatter block and then tried to access it from outside the scope. That sub_strip_path is globally defined is surprising enough, but more so, that the string is expanded into an array after exiting the scatter scope. Then I tried just to re-assign the variable but this is not allowed...

Would I get the expected behaviour of sub_strip_path staying as a string if I had defined it outside the scatter scope? And also should it really be possible to access sub_strip_path outside the scatter scope? This seems like a breach of normal scoping rules.

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers