To celebrate the release of GATK 4.0, we are giving away free credits for running the GATK4 Best Practices pipelines in FireCloud, our secure online analysis portal. It’s first come first serve, so sign up now to claim your free credits worth $250. Sponsored by Google Cloud. Learn more at https://software.broadinstitute.org/firecloud/documentation/freecredits

Is it possible that WDLTool accepts filenames that start with numbers and contain underscores?

YatrosYatros Seattle, WA, USAMember

Hello,

I'm starting to work with WDL scripts and I have realized that when I parse a file name or a string that starts with a numeric character that contains an underscore, the WDLTool validate/input command returns the error "Unrecognized token in line ... column ..." for the underscore position.

For example, the following code returns the error Unrecognized token on line 7, column 11: . Line 6 (Sample_001) is OK, because the String starts with a letter, but line 7 (001_TTAACGTC_L001_R1_001) fails because the File name starts with a number.

workflow Test {
  call bwa
  }
  task bwa {
  File /Reference/hg19
  String Sample_001
  File 001_TTAACGTC_L001_R1_001
  File 001_TTAACGTC_L001_R2_001
  command {bwa mem -t 8 -M -R '@RG\tID:001.1\tSM:001\tPL:illumina\tLB:001\tPU:UN1' -p ${/Reference/hg19}.fasta ${001_TTAACGTC_L001_R1_001}.fastq.gz ${001_TTAACGTC_L001_R2_001}.fastq.gz >${Sample_001}.sam}
  output {File out ="${Sample_001}.sam"
  }
 }

Would it be possible to allow WDLTool handle file names / strings that start with a numeric value followed by an underscore or would I have to rename my input files in order to make it work? Most of the files that I receive from our sequencing core start with numeric values and contain "_" within the file names.

WDLTool 0.14
Cromwell 29

Thank you very much for your help,

Best,

Yatros

Best Answer

Answers

• YatrosYatros Seattle, WA, USAMember

This makes sense.

Thank you for the clarification concerning generalizing the WDL scripts to make them reusable.

Thanks,

Yatros