To celebrate the release of GATK 4.0, we are giving away free credits for running the GATK4 Best Practices pipelines in FireCloud, our secure online analysis portal. It’s first come first serve, so sign up now to claim your free credits worth $250. Sponsored by Google Cloud. Learn more at https://software.broadinstitute.org/firecloud/documentation/freecredits

Referencing output of a sub workflow in a workflow

alongaloralongalor Member
edited September 2017 in Ask the WDL team

I was wondering if it is possible to reference the output of a sub workflow in a workflow without explicitly defining the output of the sub workflow in the "optional" outputs section of the sub workflow definition.

Providing an example below (code attached):

jointCallingGenotypes.wdl is a workflow that calls a sub workflow, jointCallingGenotypesPerSample.wdl. When the output of the sub workflow is not defined in the "optional" outputs section of the sub workflow definition (jointCallingGenotypes_No_Output_Def.zip below), I get the following error:

[ag457@login05 Dependencies]$ $java -jar $wdltool validate ./jointCallingGenotypes.wdl
ERROR: Call output not found: Call 'jointCallingGenotypesPerSample' doesn't have an output 'Merged_GVCF' (line 47, col 44).

GVCFs=jointCallingGenotypesPerSample.Merged_GVCF
                                           ^

Options:
 - Add the output 'Merged_GVCF' to 'jointCallingGenotypesPerSample'.
 - Modify the member access (on line 47) to use an existing output (current outputs of 'jointCallingGenotypesPerSample': 'MergeVCFs.Merged_GVCF', 'HaplotypeCallerERC.GVCF').

As specified in the helpful error message above, I have two options to fix this: "Add the output 'Merged_GVCF' to 'jointCallingGenotypesPerSample'" or "Modify the member access (on line 47) to use an existing output".

The first option works. When I explicitly define the output of the sub workflow in the "optional" outputs section of the sub workflow definition (jointCallingGenotypes_Success.zip below) there are no complaints from the validate tool:

[ag457@login05 Dependencies]$ $java -jar $wdltool validate ./jointCallingGenotypes.wdl

However, I could not find any information in the documentation or on the forum on how to execute the second option. After removing the explicit definition the output in the sub workflow, I tried to reference the output as shown below without success:

ERROR: Expression will not evaluate (line 47, col 54):

GVCFs=jointCallingGenotypesPerSample.MergeVCFs.Merged_GVCF
                                                     ^

Any help with how to execute this second option would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Alon

Best Answer

Answers