To celebrate the release of GATK 4.0, we are giving away free credits for running the GATK4 Best Practices pipelines in FireCloud, our secure online analysis portal. It’s first come first serve, so sign up now to claim your free credits worth $250. Sponsored by Google Cloud. Learn more at https://software.broadinstitute.org/firecloud/documentation/freecredits

Problem with Docker-Images pulled Self-Hosted Registries

Hi,

I run into a little problem since using the latest cromewell-version 29 locally. Every time when cromewell starts a locally created docker-Container I get the following WARN-Messages:

[WARN] [09/04/2017 12:29:10.315] [cromwell-system-akka.dispatchers.engine-dispatcher-39] [akka://cromwell-system/user/cromwell-service/WorkflowManagerActor/WorkflowActor-dd1c8ef5-506f-4088-89fb-fb417aa2345c/WorkflowExecutionActor-dd1c8ef5$
java.lang.Exception: Unauthorized to get docker hash transwf:170904

with a long java stack trace like:

at cromwell.engine.workflow.WorkflowDockerLookupActor.cromwell$engine$workflow$WorkflowDockerLookupActor$$handleLookupFailure(WorkflowDockerLookupActor.scala:195)
        at cromwell.engine.workflow.WorkflowDockerLookupActor$$anonfun$3.applyOrElse(WorkflowDockerLookupActor.scala:93)
        at cromwell.engine.workflow.WorkflowDockerLookupActor$$anonfun$3.applyOrElse(WorkflowDockerLookupActor.scala:77)
        at scala.runtime.AbstractPartialFunction.apply(AbstractPartialFunction.scala:34)
        at akka.actor.FSM.processEvent(FSM.scala:663)
        at akka.actor.FSM.processEvent$(FSM.scala:660)
        at cromwell.engine.workflow.WorkflowDockerLookupActor.akka$actor$LoggingFSM$$super$processEvent(WorkflowDockerLookupActor.scala:41)
        at akka.actor.LoggingFSM.processEvent(FSM.scala:799)
        at akka.actor.LoggingFSM.processEvent$(FSM.scala:781)
        at cromwell.engine.workflow.WorkflowDockerLookupActor.processEvent(WorkflowDockerLookupActor.scala:41)
        at akka.actor.FSM.akka$actor$FSM$$processMsg(FSM.scala:657)
        at akka.actor.FSM$$anonfun$receive$1.applyOrElse(FSM.scala:651)
        at scala.runtime.AbstractPartialFunction.apply(AbstractPartialFunction.scala:34)
        at cromwell.docker.DockerClientHelper$$anonfun$dockerResponseReceive$1.applyOrElse(DockerClientHelper.scala:16)
        at scala.PartialFunction$OrElse.applyOrElse(PartialFunction.scala:171)
        at scala.PartialFunction$OrElse.applyOrElse(PartialFunction.scala:172)
        at akka.actor.Actor.aroundReceive(Actor.scala:513)
        at akka.actor.Actor.aroundReceive$(Actor.scala:511)
        at cromwell.engine.workflow.WorkflowDockerLookupActor.aroundReceive(WorkflowDockerLookupActor.scala:41)
        at akka.actor.ActorCell.receiveMessage(ActorCell.scala:527)
        at akka.actor.ActorCell.invoke(ActorCell.scala:496)
        at akka.dispatch.Mailbox.processMailbox(Mailbox.scala:257)
        at akka.dispatch.Mailbox.run(Mailbox.scala:224)
        at akka.dispatch.Mailbox.exec(Mailbox.scala:234)
        at akka.dispatch.forkjoin.ForkJoinTask.doExec(ForkJoinTask.java:260)
        at akka.dispatch.forkjoin.ForkJoinPool$WorkQueue.runTask(ForkJoinPool.java:1339)
        at akka.dispatch.forkjoin.ForkJoinPool.runWorker(ForkJoinPool.java:1979)
        at akka.dispatch.forkjoin.ForkJoinWorkerThread.run(ForkJoinWorkerThread.java:107)

Ok that legit since local created images dont have a hash/digests. To get rid of the warn-message i created my own locally registry, as described in the docker-docs. I push and pull my image to the registry and checked with docker images --digests if it has a hash (it has now :) ). I checked if I can run the container from the shell and insert the new container-name into the wdl-file and hit start. Now I get a java.lang.IllegalArgumentException from the cromewell-server:

[ERROR] [09/04/2017 12:24:27.649] [cromwell-system-akka.dispatchers.engine-dispatcher-85] [akka://cromwell-system/user/cromwell-service/WorkflowManagerActor] WorkflowManagerActor Workflow 2faa7ebb-6354-4251-baf6-9c1432f619ae failed (durin$
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Docker image localhost:5000/capture/transwf:170904 has an invalid syntax.

Any Idea what went wrong ?

Thank you in advance,
greetings
EADG

Best Answers

Answers