How do you specify default values in a WDL runtime block?

LeeTL1220LeeTL1220 Arlington, MAMember, Broadie, Dev
edited August 2017 in Ask the WDL team

Please note how defaults are being specified in the runtime block below:

task PadTargets {
    File targets
    Int? padding
    File gatk_jar

# Runtime parameters
    Int? mem
    String gatk_docker
    Int? preemptible_attempts
    Int? disk_space_gb

# Determine output filename
    String filename = select_first([targets, ""])
    String base_filename = basename(filename, ".tsv")

command <<<
        echo ${filename}; \
        java -Xmx${default=1 mem}g -jar ${gatk_jar} PadTargets \
            --targets ${targets} \
            --padding ${default=250 padding} \
            --output ${base_filename}.padded.tsv
    >>>

runtime {
        docker: "${gatk_docker}"
        memory: "${default=2 mem+1}" + " GB"
        disks: "local-disk ${default=40 disk_space_gb} HDD"
        preemptible: "${default=2 preemptible_attempts}"
    }

output {
        File padded_targets = "${base_filename}.padded.tsv"
    }
}

This WDL validates fine, but yields an error in cromwell at runtime:

[2017-08-09 13:58:57,55] [info] WorkflowExecutionActor-850afb1f-7ac8-4ff3-85cb-a5530b44cf0f [850afb1f]: Starting calls: CNVSomaticPanelWorkflow.PadTargets:NA:1

[2017-08-09 13:58:57,70] [error] WorkflowManagerActor Workflow 850afb1f-7ac8-4ff3-85cb-a5530b44cf0f failed (during ExecutingWorkflowState): Could not resolve variable default as a task input

wdl4s.WdlExpressionException: Could not resolve variable default as a task input
...snip...

Changing the runtime block to something more like:

runtime {
        memory: ${default=2 mem+1} + " GB"
        disks: "local-disk " + ${default=40 disk_space_gb} + " HDD"
        preemptible: ${default=2 preemptible_attempts}
    }

does not validate.

Apologies if this is a dupe.

Answers

• ChrisLChrisL Cambridge, MAMember, Broadie, Moderator, Dev

I think this might be because the default=, as interpolated into a command line, has to be a string. Could you double check whether it works if you wrap the numbers in ""?

Of course, the error message/error reporting could definitely be improved if that is the case.

• LeeTL1220LeeTL1220 Arlington, MAMember, Broadie, Dev
        runtime {
            memory: ${default="2" mem+1} + " GB"
            disks: "local-disk " + ${default="40" disk_space_gb} + " HDD"
            preemptible: ${default="2" preemptible_attempts}
        }

Still does not validate:

Unrecognized token on line 31, column 17:

memory: ${default="2" mem+1} + " GB"
                    ^

• ThibThib CambridgeMember, Broadie, Dev
    edited August 2017

You could set the default value directly in the declaration itself:

task PadTargets {
        File targets
        Int? padding
        File gatk_jar

# Runtime parameters
        Int? mem = 2
        String gatk_docker
        Int? preemptible_attempts = 2
        Int? disk_space_gb = 40

# Determine output filename
        String filename = select_first([targets, ""])
        String base_filename = basename(filename, ".tsv")

command <<<
            echo ${filename}; \
            java -Xmx${default=1 mem}g -jar ${gatk_jar} PadTargets \
                --targets ${targets} \
                --padding ${default=250 padding} \
                --output ${base_filename}.padded.tsv
        >>>

runtime {
            memory: "${mem+1} GB"
            disks: "local-disk ${disk_space_gb} HDD"
            preemptible: "${preemptible_attempts}"
        }

output {
            File padded_targets = "${base_filename}.padded.tsv"
        }
    }

The ${default=...} syntax only works in the command section.

edited August 2017

I also think the {default="" x} syntax might only work in the command block. I'm not 100% sure but I suspect it might not work at all in the runtime strings.

In that case you can copy the select_first style you've used elsewhere, eg:

runtime{
      memory: select_first([mem, 250]) + "GB"
    }

@ChrisL FYI... The defaults in the command line should work fine. This task used to work before the runtime block was added.

@Thib I cannot do that, because if I do, the parameters will no longer show up in wdltool inputs ....

@LeeTL1220 they used to show up with some awkward "x": "OPTIONAL" placeholder. If that's stopped then it's probably a wdltool bug.

In the mean time, the select_first should work

@ChrisL Validates... I am running it now...

@ChrisL If I use "?" without "=x", then the placeholder shows up. As soon as I add "=x" the placeholder disappears whether the input variable is optional or not.

@ChrisL Error:

[2017-08-09 15:07:47,52] [error] WorkflowManagerActor Workflow d08c8f7c-b4eb-4a6f-9ba5-4abb8d2d969c failed (during ExecutingWorkflowState): Sorry! Operation + is not supported on empty optional values. You might resolve this using select_first([optional, default]) to guarantee that you have a filled value.

wdl4s.exception.OptionalNotSuppliedException: Sorry! Operation + is not supported on empty optional values. You might resolve this using select_first([optional, default]) to guarantee that you have a filled value.

Here is my runtime block for confirmation:

runtime {
            memory: select_first([mem+1, 2]) + " GB"
            disks: "local-disk " + select_first([disk_space_gb, 40]) + " HDD"
            preemptible: select_first([preemptible_attempts, 2])
        }

@ChrisL crud... it's the "+1"

@LeeTL1220 as I was writing this ticket I realised there's a little ambiguity about what the inputs JSON would look like. Feel free to comment https://github.com/broadinstitute/cromwell/issues/2532

@ChrisL @Thib Looks like I have made progress by using select_first in the runtime blocks. I'll keep you posted.

• oskarvoskarv BergenMember
    edited August 2017

Why not use the workflowoptions.json file for that instead? Create it and put this in it and it should work:

{
      "default_runtime_attributes": {
            docker: "your/docker:image"
            memory: "8G"
            disks: "/mount/point1 HDD"
            preemptible: "2"
      }
    }

Now just run:

java -jar cromwell.jar run script.wdl inputs.json workflowoptions.json

If you want to override the default you just use the runtime {} code in the wdl script like normal.

Or define it in the inputs.json file like they do in their best practices pipeline on github, e.g

{
    "PairedEndSingleSampleWorkflow.agg_small_disk": 200,
    }

And then in the wdl script you write

Int flowcell_small_disk

where you define File, String, Array etc in the call section. Check it out:
    The .json file: https://github.com/broadinstitute/wdl/blob/develop/scripts/broad_pipelines/PublicPairedSingleSampleWf_170412.inputs.json#L106
    The wdl script: https://github.com/broadinstitute/wdl/blob/develop/scripts/broad_pipelines/PublicPairedSingleSampleWf_170412.wdl#L1120

Post edited by oskarv on

@oskarv Unfortunately, for the usage patterns of this WDL, we cannot use a workflow options file. In fact, one of the side reasons I am working on this is to remove that as a dependency.

• alongaloralongalor Member
    edited September 2017

I have a different issue with the ${default="foobar" s} feature where s is declared as String? s. For some reason, when s is not input in the inputs.json file, the default function yields "None"rather than "foobar" as expected.

I have a task that looks as follows (Note only the lines String? Ts_Filter_Level_Indels and --ts_filter_level ${default="99.0" Ts_Filter_Level_Indels} \):

task ApplyRecalibrationIndels {

File Tranches_Indels_VCF
      File Recal_Indels_VCF
      File Raw_VCF
      String? Ts_Filter_Level_Indels
      String CohortName
      String Chromosome
      File? Parallelization

Map[String, String] Paths
      Array[String] RuntimeParams

command {
        ${Paths["java"]} -jar ${Paths["gatk"]} \
          -T ApplyRecalibration \
          -R ${Paths["refFasta"]} \
          -input ${Raw_VCF} \
          -tranchesFile ${Tranches_Indels_VCF} \
          -recalFile ${Recal_Indels_VCF} \
          -L ${default=Chromosome Parallelization} \
          -o ${CohortName}_${Chromosome}_Indels_Filtered.vcf \
          --ts_filter_level ${default="99.0" Ts_Filter_Level_Indels} \
          -mode INDEL \
      }

runtime {
        runtime_minutes: RuntimeParams[6]
        cpus: RuntimeParams[15]
        requested_memory_mb_per_core: RuntimeParams[24]
        queue: RuntimeParams[33]
      }

output {
        File filtered_Indels_VCF = "${CohortName}_${Chromosome}_Indels_Filtered.vcf"
      }
    }

When it is called at runtime Cromwell displays the following (Note the line --ts_filter_level \):

[2017-09-18 15:33:05,48] [info] DispatchedConfigAsyncJobExecutionActor [40d6c2a9sub.VariantDiscoveryPerChrom.ApplyRecalibrationIndels:NA:1]: /n/data1/hms/dbmi/park/alon/0_GATK_Tools/jdk1.8.0_45/bin/java -jar /n/data1/hms/dbmi/park/alon/0_GATK_Tools/GenomeAnalysisTK.jar \
      -T ApplyRecalibration \
      -R /home/sl279/BiO/Install/GATK-bundle/2.8/b37/human_g1k_v37_decoy.fasta \
      -input /n/data1/hms/dbmi/park/DATA/BSMCommonExperiment/Yale_SC/bam/test/bam/take6/Variant-Discovery/cromwell-executions/VariantDiscovery/7ee02f4c-746a-4c83-b27b-1ae3b12f7925/call-VariantDiscoveryPerChrom/shard-0/VariantDiscoveryPerChrom/40d6c2a9-58b0-4d6e-a300-1c0356f2d0d7/call-ApplyRecalibrationIndels/inputs/n/data1/hms/dbmi/park/DATA/BSMCommonExperiment/Yale_SC/bam/test/bam/take6/Variant-Discovery/cromwell-executions/VariantDiscovery/7ee02f4c-746a-4c83-b27b-1ae3b12f7925/call-VariantDiscoveryPerChrom/shard-0/VariantDiscoveryPerChrom/40d6c2a9-58b0-4d6e-a300-1c0356f2d0d7/call-GenotypeGVCFs/execution/Yale_SC_All_Chroms_rawVariants.vcf \
      -tranchesFile /n/data1/hms/dbmi/park/DATA/BSMCommonExperiment/Yale_SC/bam/test/bam/take6/Variant-Discovery/cromwell-executions/VariantDiscovery/7ee02f4c-746a-4c83-b27b-1ae3b12f7925/call-VariantDiscoveryPerChrom/shard-0/VariantDiscoveryPerChrom/40d6c2a9-58b0-4d6e-a300-1c0356f2d0d7/call-ApplyRecalibrationIndels/inputs/n/data1/hms/dbmi/park/DATA/BSMCommonExperiment/Yale_SC/bam/test/bam/take6/Variant-Discovery/cromwell-executions/VariantDiscovery/7ee02f4c-746a-4c83-b27b-1ae3b12f7925/call-VariantDiscoveryPerChrom/shard-0/VariantDiscoveryPerChrom/40d6c2a9-58b0-4d6e-a300-1c0356f2d0d7/call-VariantRecalibratorIndels/execution/Yale_SC_All_Chroms_Indels.tranches \
      -recalFile /n/data1/hms/dbmi/park/DATA/BSMCommonExperiment/Yale_SC/bam/test/bam/take6/Variant-Discovery/cromwell-executions/VariantDiscovery/7ee02f4c-746a-4c83-b27b-1ae3b12f7925/call-VariantDiscoveryPerChrom/shard-0/VariantDiscoveryPerChrom/40d6c2a9-58b0-4d6e-a300-1c0356f2d0d7/call-ApplyRecalibrationIndels/inputs/n/data1/hms/dbmi/park/DATA/BSMCommonExperiment/Yale_SC/bam/test/bam/take6/Variant-Discovery/cromwell-executions/VariantDiscovery/7ee02f4c-746a-4c83-b27b-1ae3b12f7925/call-VariantDiscoveryPerChrom/shard-0/VariantDiscoveryPerChrom/40d6c2a9-58b0-4d6e-a300-1c0356f2d0d7/call-VariantRecalibratorIndels/execution/Yale_SC_All_Chroms_Indels.recal \
      -L /n/data1/hms/dbmi/park/DATA/BSMCommonExperiment/Yale_SC/bam/test/bam/take6/Variant-Discovery/cromwell-executions/VariantDiscovery/7ee02f4c-746a-4c83-b27b-1ae3b12f7925/call-VariantDiscoveryPerChrom/shard-0/VariantDiscoveryPerChrom/40d6c2a9-58b0-4d6e-a300-1c0356f2d0d7/call-ApplyRecalibrationIndels/inputs/n/data1/hms/dbmi/park/DATA/BSMCommonExperiment/Yale_SC/bam/test/bam/take6/Variant-Discovery/WDLScripts/WDLInputFiles/allChroms.intervals \
      -o Yale_SC_All_Chroms_Indels_Filtered.vcf \
      --ts_filter_level  \
      -mode INDEL \

An error follows suit:

##### ERROR MESSAGE: Argument '--ts_filter_level' requires a value but none was provided

My inputs file is as follows (Note "VariantDiscovery.Ts_Filter_Level_Indels": "",)

{
      "VariantDiscovery.inputRuntimeParamsFile": "/n/data1/hms/dbmi/park/DATA/BSMCommonExperiment/Yale_SC/bam/test/bam/take6/Variant-Discovery/UserInput/runtimeParams.tsv",
      "VariantDiscovery.Ts_Filter_Level_SNPs": "",
      "VariantDiscovery.Ts_Filter_Level_Indels": "",
      "VariantDiscovery.inputSamplesFile": "/n/data1/hms/dbmi/park/DATA/BSMCommonExperiment/Yale_SC/bam/test/bam/take6/Variant-Discovery/UserInput/samples.tsv",
      "VariantDiscovery.inputChromosomesFile": "/n/data1/hms/dbmi/park/DATA/BSMCommonExperiment/Yale_SC/bam/test/bam/take6/Variant-Discovery/WDLScripts/WDLInputFiles/noParalellization.tsv",
      "VariantDiscovery.inbreedingCoeff": "",
      "VariantDiscovery.callCombineVariants": "True",
      "VariantDiscovery.cohortName": "Yale_SC",
      "VariantDiscovery.Parallelization": "/n/data1/hms/dbmi/park/DATA/BSMCommonExperiment/Yale_SC/bam/test/bam/take6/Variant-Discovery/WDLScripts/WDLInputFiles/allChroms.intervals",
      "VariantDiscovery.pcrFree": ""
    }

Attaching my entire script for reference.

Thanks in advance!

Alon

@alongalor the reason this isn't working for you is that "" is considered a value, even though it's 0-length. If you want to see the behavior of the default, you should remove the line from the input JSON altogether.

I believe from Cromwell 29 onwards you may also supply a javascript null to get the same effect.

edited September 2017

I just re-read the top half of your comment. Just to confirm, you're saying that if you had a task like this:

task foo {
      String? bar
      command {
        echo "result: ${default="d" bar}"
      }
      output {
        String out = read_string(stdout())
      }
    }

then if bar is not supplied then the output is result: None? If that's the case then it's a bug which we should fix asap!

@alongalor I just tried submitting this to Cromwell with no inputs at all, and got the expected result:

• WDL
    task foo {
      String? bar
      command {
        echo "result: ${default="d" bar}"
      }
      output {
        String out = read_string(stdout())
      }
    }

workflow foowf {
        call foo
    }

• Result
    {
      "foowf.foo.out": "result: d"
    }

Could you confirm what happens when you run that, and if you see result: None, what Cromwell version you're using? Thanks!

• alongaloralongalor Member
    edited September 2017

@ChrisL said:
    @alongalor the reason this isn't working for you is that "" is considered a value, even though it's 0-length. If you want to see the behavior of the default, you should remove the line from the input JSON altogether.

I believe from Cromwell 29 onwards you may also supply a javascript null to get the same effect.

Hey Chris, thanks a lot for your quick reply and your help! It seems that my issue was actually the one you address in the comment I am including above! I did not realize that! I read all the documentation I could find about the usage of ${default=....} but did not see reference of that. Is there documentation about this rule that I missed? Thanks so much!