Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We encourage our fourm members to be more involved, jump in and help out your fellow researchers with their questions. GATK forum is a community forum and helping each other with using GATK tools and research is the cornerstone of our success as a genomics research community.We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

Bam files for MuTect

Are the requirements for the BAM files the same for MuTect as for GATK.
I have the tumor and normal bam files and they are co-ordinate sorted, indexed and aligned to MM9 using TopHat.
I have the snp vcf file as well as the reference fasta file in order. But, When i run muTect I get an error saying BAM files are not indexed. Can anyone help suggest me what should I try next?.
Thanks,
Himanshu

Answers

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie admin

The indexing requirement is the same for MuTect as for GATK. Your bam files each need to have a *.bai index file that matches the name of the bam file.

• hns04hns04 Member

Hi Geraldine,
    Thanks a lot for your reply.
    I do have the bai file with the same name as the bam file. Also, i have the read group header and they are co ordinate sorted.
    What could be going wrong?

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie admin

Hmm, that's odd. Can you post the error message?

• hns04hns04 Member

Thanks Geraldine,
    The error message is as follows.

ERROR MESSAGE: Invalid command line: Cannot process the provided BAM file(s) because they were not indexed. The GATK does offer limited processing of unindexed BAMs in --unsafe mode, but this GATK feature is currently unsupported.

ERROR ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmm. Well, maybe the index file is corrupted. Try generating the index file again (eg with Picard), not much else to do at this point.

• noanoa Boston areaMember

Hi,
    I receive the same error message when calling RealignerTargetCreator although I have the .bai files. I generated them with samtools index and then tried also picard but still getting the same error, do you have any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Noa
    I'm using version 2014.4-3.3.0-0-ga3711aa

ERROR MESSAGE: Invalid command line: Cannot process the provided BAM file(s) because they were not indexed. The GATK does offer limited processing of unindexed BAMs in --unsafe mode, but this GATK feature is currently unsupported.

• noanoa Boston areaMember

Please ignore my message, I found my mistake and it works now. Thanks