Heads up:
We’re moving the GATK website, docs and forum to a new platform. Read the full story and breakdown of key changes on this blog.
Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We encourage our fourm members to be more involved, jump in and help out your fellow researchers with their questions. GATK forum is a community forum and helping each other with using GATK tools and research is the cornerstone of our success as a genomics research community.We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.
Attention:
We will be out of the office for a Broad Institute event from Dec 10th to Dec 11th 2019. We will be back to monitor the GATK forum on Dec 12th 2019. In the meantime we encourage you to help out other community members with their queries.
Thank you for your patience!

What exactly is DP and how filtered is it?

I have read somewhat contradictory things across the documentation as to what DP actually measures, and I can't quite tell if I'm missing some distinction between the "different" DPs. I have read that DP is the filtered read depth to only what HaplotypeCaller finds informative (as stated in the DepthPerSampleHC DP annotation documentation and therefore will likely exclude things like PCR duplicates) but I have also read that it does not filter out to only reads found informative by HaplotypeCaller (as stated in the Coverage DP annotation documentation and in this forum discussion https://gatkforums.broadinstitute.org/gatk/discussion/comment/11861#Comment_11861 which states “Keep in mind that the depth reported in the DP field of the VCF is the unfiltered depth”).

I continue to be confused by this and I’d really like a more clear answer as to what the DP annotation for the sample-level actually includes. Is DP at the sample-level unfiltered, partially filtered, or filtered all the way down to reads only found informative by HaplotypeCaller?

Answers