Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

A USER ERROR has occurred: TMP_DIR is not a recognized option

WeichiWeichi Member
edited September 12 in Ask the GATK team

After upgrade the GATK4 version to 4.1.3.0
I saw this error when running BaseRecalibrator and HaplotypeCaller.

A USER ERROR has occurred: TMP_DIR is not a recognized option

I found that Optional Common Arguments was changed from --TMP_DIR to --tmp-dir.
After change --TMP_DIR into --tmp-dir, the problem was solved.
But some function like MarkDuplicates, the Temp directory argument still --TMP_DIR.

I'm just curious to know why to do this small change?
May I possibly suggest to unify it?

Post edited by Weichi on

Best Answer

• SkyWarriorSkyWarrior Turkey ✭✭✭
    edited September 12 Accepted Answer

Some parts of the gatk package comes from picard which uses a seperate command line argument consensus still compared to original gatk tools. You may need to bear with it for a while until complete merging and alignment is done I guess.

Other than that you may try to symlink the tmp folder before you run your actual gatk argument without tmp_dir change and therefore you will not be messing with multiple argument styles but this approach is also not very convenient from a system wide perspective.

Answers

• SkyWarriorSkyWarrior TurkeyMember ✭✭✭
    edited September 12 Accepted Answer

Some parts of the gatk package comes from picard which uses a seperate command line argument consensus still compared to original gatk tools. You may need to bear with it for a while until complete merging and alignment is done I guess.

Other than that you may try to symlink the tmp folder before you run your actual gatk argument without tmp_dir change and therefore you will not be messing with multiple argument styles but this approach is also not very convenient from a system wide perspective.

• WeichiWeichi Member

I see.
    Thanks for your explanation.

• bhanuGandhambhanuGandham Cambridge MAMember, Administrator, Broadie, Moderator admin

Thank you for your input @SkyWarrior. We appreciate your contribution to the community!