Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

weird lines when calling variants with GATK, this might be a common issue

purodpurod Member
edited May 3 in Ask the GATK team

I called variants and some lines are weird in the output g.vcf file

chr05 9723222 . A C, 1013.03 . DP=21;ExcessHet=3.0103;MLEAC=2,0;MLEAF=1.00,0.00;RAW_MQandDP=61996,21 GT:AD:DP:GQ:PGT:PID:PL:PS:SB 1|1:0,21,0:21:69:0|1:9723222_A_C:1027,69,0,1027,69,1027:9723222:0,0,15,6

The weird part is in bold format. Did anyone get the same problem as me?

Best Answer

Answers

• bshifawbshifaw moonMember, Broadie, Moderator admin

Hi @purod

What command did you use and what version of GATK are you using?

-Beri

• purodpurod Member

The GATK version is 4.1.0.0 and the command is

First step: gatk HaplotypeCaller -R /work7_P1/GATK_RegionCall/IRGSP-1.0/IRGSP-1.0_genome.fasta -I /work7_P1/GATK_RegionCall/Bam_SortIndex/B001.g.vcf -O /work7_P1/GATK_RegionCall/Variant_call/B001.g.vcf -L /work7_P1/GATK_RegionCall/IRGSP-1.0/reduce.list -ERC GVCF --max-alternate-alleles 25 [reduce.list is the region I would like to call variants]

Second step: gatk GenomicsDBImport --sample-name-map /work7_P1/GATK_RegionCall/Variant_call/cohort.sample_map --reader-threads 5 --batch-size 50 --genomicsdb-workspace-path /work7_P1/GATK_RegionCall/DBimport/chr01_directory --intervals chr01

Third step: gatk GenotypeGVCFs -R /work7_P1/GATK_RegionCall/IRGSP-1.0/IRGSP-1.0_genome.fasta -V gendb:///work7_P1/GATK_RegionCall/DBimport/chr01_directory -O /work7_P1/GATK_RegionCall/Geno_call/chr01_output.vcf

Rerun the code might remove this error. However, I got thousands of files and if this is a random error, I have to rerun again and again. I also suspect the name of chromosome causing this error, maybe I should use just the number instead of chr01. Totally have no idea what causes this. I really appreciate if you can figure this out.

• purodpurod Member
    Accepted Answer

The information comes from PGT tag, I can ask GATK not to output this with option "--doNotRunPhysicalPhasing"