Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

UmiAwareMarkDuplicatesWithMateCigar java.lang.NullPointerException error

Hello,

I've annotated a SAM file with UMI information (using fgbio's AnnotateBamWithUmis) and am trying to mark duplicates with the tool "UmiAwareMarkDuplicatesWithMateCigar".

My command is as follows:
java -jar ../Tools/picard.jar UmiAwareMarkDuplicatesWithMateCigar I=aligned_umi.sam O=aligned_umi_dup.sam M=aligned_M.txt UMI_METRICS=aligned_umi_met.txt

The version of Picard is 2.18.12-SNAPSHOT

However I receive the following error:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException at picard.sam.markduplicates.UmiAwareDuplicateSetIterator.process(UmiAwareDuplicateSetIterator.java:138) at picard.sam.markduplicates.UmiAwareDuplicateSetIterator.next(UmiAwareDuplicateSetIterator.java:117) at picard.sam.markduplicates.UmiAwareDuplicateSetIterator.next(UmiAwareDuplicateSetIterator.java:53) at picard.sam.markduplicates.SimpleMarkDuplicatesWithMateCigar.doWork(SimpleMarkDuplicatesWithMateCigar.java:133) at picard.sam.markduplicates.UmiAwareMarkDuplicatesWithMateCigar.doWork(UmiAwareMarkDuplicatesWithMateCigar.java:141) at picard.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.instanceMain(CommandLineProgram.java:277) at picard.cmdline.PicardCommandLine.instanceMain(PicardCommandLine.java:103) at picard.cmdline.PicardCommandLine.main(PicardCommandLine.java:113)

I'm unsure why I'm getting this error. I can do the duplicate marking using the original MarkDuplicates tool without issue:
java -jar ../Tools/picard.jar MarkDuplicates INPUT=aligned_umi.sam OUTPUT=aligned_umi_dup.sam METRICS_FILE=aligned_M.txt BARCODE_TAG=RX

But I really want to be able to use the MAX_EDIT_DISTANCE_TO_JOIN parameter with the UmiAwareMarkDuplicatesWithMateCigar tool, and I'm also interested in the UMI_METICS statistics that this tool should report.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Devin

Answers