Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We encourage our fourm members to be more involved, jump in and help out your fellow researchers with their questions. GATK forum is a community forum and helping each other with using GATK tools and research is the cornerstone of our success as a genomics research community.We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

set=FilteredInAll from CombineVariants not actually in all input VCFs

I'm using GATK CombineVariants to combine multiple VCFs. According to this page, set=filteredInAll means "occurred in both call sets, but was filtered out of both". Unfortunately, I have VCFs where only 1 of the 3 VCFs has the variant, but it's still annotating set=filteredInAll, which is misleading.

If you run grep 71983 over the attached VCFs, you will note that only the VarDict VCF contains a variant at position chr19:71983.

However, after combining the VCFs with the following command I get set=FilteredInAll for this position:

gatk -T CombineVariants --downsampling_type NONE  --variant:MuTect2 TCRBOA3.MuTect2.vcf  --variant:mutect TCRBOA3.mutect.vcf  --variant:VarDict TCRBOA3.vardict.vcf -priority MuTect2,VarDict,mutect -R ucsc.hg19.fasta --genotypemergeoption PRIORITIZE  -o combined.vcf

(you'll need the reference genome and to rename the uploaded files to .vcf for this command to work)

Is this wrong? Or am I misunderstanding the results?

Answers