Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

Does HaplotypeCaller allow multiple allele calls?

jreevejreeve Member
edited July 2018 in Ask the GATK team

I'm trying to use HaplotypeCaller to call variants from a pooled population sample. However whenever I run the basic program, with the ploidy set to 2 x number of individuals in the pool, I get this warning;

WARN HaplotypeCallerGenotypingEngine - Removed alt alleles where ploidy is 88 and original allele count is 3, whereas after trimming the allele count becomes 2. Alleles kept are:[T*, A]

What is going on behind the scenes to reduce the allele count down to two? Is there a way to turn this off?

Cheers,
James

Best Answers

Answers

• jreevejreeve Member

Thanks Sheila,

I set --max-genotype-count 4096 and the message has changed to;
    WARN HaplotypeCallerGenotypingEngine - Removed alt alleles where ploidy is 88 and original allele count is 5, whereas after trimming the allele count becomes 3. Alleles kept are:[G*, A, GA]
    This suits my purposes since I'm identify multi-allelic sites to filter them out of my final dataset.

I noticed that now HaplotypeCaller is running much slower. Is this because HaplotypeCaller is now calculating each call over a larger vector of possible genotypes?

Also is the notation for --max-genotype-count the G value from the page you linked me?

-James