Heads up:
We’re moving the GATK website, docs and forum to a new platform. Read the full story and breakdown of key changes on this blog.
Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We encourage our fourm members to be more involved, jump in and help out your fellow researchers with their questions. GATK forum is a community forum and helping each other with using GATK tools and research is the cornerstone of our success as a genomics research community.We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.
Attention:
We will be out of the office for a Broad Institute event from Dec 10th to Dec 11th 2019. We will be back to monitor the GATK forum on Dec 12th 2019. In the meantime we encourage you to help out other community members with their queries.
Thank you for your patience!

DiscoverVariantsFromContigAlignmentsSAMSpark error

Hello there!

I am using "DiscoverVariantsFromContigAlignmentsSAMSpark" to call SNPs on contigs from an assembly. The assembly was done by Falcon for Pacbio reads. While running the command, I receive an interval error for the SAM file. In order to run the command successfully, I've already mapped the contigs to the reference genome, using minimap2. I've converted resulting CRAM file to a SAM file, added read group info there and sorted the SAM file. I also ran "ValidateSamFile" successfully. I am running latest version of GATK. Here are the commands and part of the error message:

Commnad:

gatk DiscoverVariantsFromContigAlignmentsSAMSpark -R $ref_genome -I $input_file -O ${input_file}_gatk_Vcalled.vcf

Error:

ERROR Executor: Exception in task 0.0 in stage 1.0 (TID 162)
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Invalid interval. Contig:16 start:46400198 end:46400197
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.utils.Utils.validateArg(Utils.java:687)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.utils.SimpleInterval.validatePositions(SimpleInterval.java:61)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.utils.SimpleInterval.(SimpleInterval.java:37)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.tools.spark.sv.discovery.alignment.ContigAlignmentsModifier.splitGappedAlignment(ContigAlignmentsModifier.java:310)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.tools.spark.sv.discovery.SvDiscoverFromLocalAssemblyContigAlignmentsSpark$SAMFormattedContigAlignmentParser.lambda

Any help on resolving the issue is appreciated!

Issue · Github
by Sheila

Issue Number
State
open
Last Updated
Assignee
Array

Answers

• SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie admin

@truns
    Hi,

I will check with the team and get back to you.

-Sheila

• trunstruns Member

Hello @Sheila

I was wondering if you have got a chance to look into this issue and checked it with the team.

Thank you and best!

• SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie admin

@truns
    Hi again,

Sorry I have not heard from the developer, but I am messaging him again now. I will respond asap. Sorry for the delay, and thanks for posting again.

-Sheila

• shuangBroadshuangBroad Broad75Member, Broadie, Dev

Hi @truns , thanks for reporting the issue and I'm sorry for the delay.

It looks like a possible edge case that we haven't seen before (and we haven't tested this tool with PacBio reads yet either), so it would be great if you can share the alignments that are overlapping this region:
    Contig:16 start:46400198 end:46400197.

Also, it seems that you are using DiscoverVariantsFromContigAlignmentsSAMSpark for discovering SNP's, which the tool is not designed for (admittedly, the tool is badly named for not being explicit that it is for structural variation).

Thanks!