Attention:
The frontline support team will be slow on the forum because we are occupied with the GATK Workshop on March 21st and 22nd 2019. We will be back and more available to answer questions on the forum on March 25th 2019.

GATK4.0.2.1: steps, interval list, precision of the range (interval)

manolismanolis Member ✭✭
edited March 2018 in Ask the GATK team

Hi,

I'm still a little confuse about intervals. For example, personally I use the -L option in the following steps (-L):

BaseRecalibrator (-L): chr1... chrX, chrY ( =24contigns)
ApplyBQSR #
HaplotypeCaller (-L): 404 intervals*
GenomicsDBImport (-L): 404 intervals*
GenotypeGVCFs (-L): 404 intervals*

*is the whole genome without the gap-regions (reported in the UCSC browser)

I also work with cohort of WES which have different "exon targeted design".

My pipe is reliable/precise using the above intervals? or is better to use the regions/intervals of my "exon targeted designs"? If yes, in which step?

Many thanks

Post edited by manolis on
Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• manolismanolis Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018

Thank you SkyW, I edited my question omitted the -R.

Just a question... in the "GenomicsDBImport" step I created a database composed by 404 intervals. When I apply the "GenotypeGVCFs" step I have to recall each interval from the db, that mean than I can't bypass the -L option and use the entire genome... or not?

example:

${ph6} --java-options ${java_opt2x} GenotypeGVCFs -R ${gnm} -O ${pivcf} -D ${sorg01} -G StandardAnnotation --only-output-calls-starting-in-intervals -new-qual -V gendb://${f2} -L "${f1}"

f1 = interval ; f2 = interval ID in the db

edited March 2018

That mean that only for HaplotypeCaller is really necessary to use -L option... for the other steps is only for scatter parallelization. In the GenomicDBImport, if I'm correct, I must have at least 1 interval = 1 sample... 40 samples need at least 40 intervals, processed one interval per time as you told me...

In the HaplotypeCaller, is there any difference (about false positive variant calls) if I use a large contig (where some regions are covered and other not) or many small regions/intervals full covered? Is it an important different?

thanks!

Thank you guys.