To celebrate the release of GATK 4.0, we are giving away free credits for running the GATK4 Best Practices pipelines in FireCloud, our secure online analysis portal. It’s first come first serve, so sign up now to claim your free credits worth $250. Sponsored by Google Cloud. Learn more at

Trouble with Best Practices

I'am new with all NGS tools, I tried to follow best practices workflow for my exome reads from tumor samples: I align with bwa mem, sort with samtools, mark duplicates and recalibrated bases with GATK 4 and finally call variants with Mutect 2. Although the software run successfully I noticed that the mark duplicates metrics only have a 0.3% of duplicates, which I double check with samtools flagstat. So I marked duplicates with samtools, from the same bam, which give a 30% of duplicates.
Later when I did the variant calling the output from the bam mark with samtools was of 297061 mutations againts 50370 from the bam mark with GATK.
I am not sure which file is the right one. What could I be doing wrong? How can I make sure which file is worked correctly?.

Thank you.
Ernesto Rojas

Best Answer