Heads up:
We’re moving the GATK website, docs and forum to a new platform. Read the full story and breakdown of key changes on this blog.
Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We encourage our fourm members to be more involved, jump in and help out your fellow researchers with their questions. GATK forum is a community forum and helping each other with using GATK tools and research is the cornerstone of our success as a genomics research community.We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

InbreedingCoeff calculation with trio, pairs, singletons etc

Hi Team

I plan to filter FPs on a cohort of 200 exomes using VQSR. I understand filtering on InbreedingCoeff is not suitable when family relations are present unless specified in a PED file. My issue is the cohort contains sibling pairs and other unsupported family structures.

Do you think this workaround will work OK?

1. GenotypeGVCFs entire cohort
  2. Use SelectVariants to extract genetically unrelated individuals (>10)
  3. Re-apply InbreedingCoeff annotation on the new VCF using VariantAnnotator
  4. Annotate original (full) VCF with InbreedingCoeff annotations calculated in step 3 (VariantAnnotator)
  5. Resume BPGs with VQSR

Thanks
Matt

Answers

• SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie admin

@CardiffBioinf
    Hi Matt,

Your workflow looks fine, but keep in mind we have not tested this out so we cannot confirm this will work.

You may try (in step 2) to get as many unrelated samples as possible (you mentioned >10, but the more the merrier in this case :smile: ). You can also try out ExcessHet which is better in larger cohorts.

-Sheila

P.S. Let us know how it goes!