Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

Recommendations for speeding up MuTect2 on deep capture data?

Hi GATK Team,

I'm trying to move a pipeline over from MuTect1 and Indelocator to MuTect2. The difference in runtime I'm seeing is much larger than I was expecting. I did see this post, and Sheila's answer, but I'd like to ask again with some more specifics.

I'm running on a pair of BAMs aligned with bwa-mem to hs38DH, and calling over a small set of target regions. The target regions are ~375 exons totaling about 57kb - a fairly tiny set of regions. The BAM files have a median coverage of around 500X over these target regions.

Running with MuTect 1 this takes less than a minute and a half. Running with MuTect2 this is taking nearly 30 minutes! I appreciate that MuTect2 is doing local assembly and indel calling, but a 20-fold increase in runtime doesn't seem right. For comparison, running the HaplotypeCaller on these same BAMs takes between 30 and 60 seconds. Again, not an apples-to-apples comparison, just a point of reference.

Any suggestions for why it's taking ~20 times longer to run, and how I might decrease that without tanking sensitivity? Thanks,

-t

Answers

• SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie, Moderator admin

@tfenne
    Hi t,

Hmm. You are right that is a major difference in time. Can you please post the exact command you ran?

Thanks,
    Sheila

• tfennetfenne USAMember

Sure, though it's pretty vanilla. The last three parameters are just re-stating the defaults FWIW:

java -XX:GCTimeLimit=50 -XX:GCHeapFreeLimit=10 -Xmx4096m \
      -jar /pipeline/packages/GenomeAnalysisTK.jar \
      -T MuTect2 \
      -R /pipeline/ref/hs38DH/hs38DH.fa \
      -L /pipeline/ref/57k_panel/targets.b38.interval_list \
      -I:tumor tumor.bam \
      -I:normal normal.bam \
      -o mutect2.vcf \
      --max_alt_allele_in_normal_fraction 0.03 \
      --max_alt_alleles_in_normal_count 2 \
      --max_alt_alleles_in_normal_qscore_sum 20

• SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie, Moderator admin

@tfenne
    Hi,

Thanks. Unfortunately, we don't have any expectations right now on runtime performance, so I don't think we can do anything for you. However, you can try running with debug-level logging and see if progress is slow at any particular interval or if it's slow throughout.

-Sheila