Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

cfDNA analysis using GATK

Dear experts,

May I consult with you that if GATK pipeline can be used to call mutations for the cell-free circulating DNA sequencing data? If so, is there any difference or any points to pay attention to?

Thank you very much in advance!

Thanks,

Best Answer

Answers

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie admin
    edited November 2015

Hi there,

This is not something we have tried ourselves so we can't give you any canned advice. I would expect you'd have to deal with a number of complications (related to coverage, purity etc) depending on what you are trying to learn from the cfDNA data. Can you give us a bit more context on your use case / experimental design?

• rxy712rxy712 Member

Thank you for your response! I got a data set, including 30 patients with plasma cell free DNA and matched PBMC DNA as an internal control that reflects the genomic DNA from the patient. I need to call somatic mutations for these patients. I guess I can use bwa-picard-GATK realignment and recalibration pipeline and switch to MUTECT or other tools for variant calling. Am I right? Any input is very appreciated!

Issue · Github
    by Sheila

Issue Number
    State
    closed
    Last Updated
    Assignee
    Array
    Milestone
    Array
    Closed By
    vdauwera
  • rxy712rxy712 Member

Yes, I did what you said. Thank you! It is good to know that MuTect2 can do both SNV and indel now.

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie admin

FYI mutect2 is now available in the newly released version 3.5

• namratapatelnamratapatel AnandMember

I have cfDNA samples of 4 patients and we have taken two normal samples, now how can i call variants using Mutect2 if i dont have matching normal and patient pairs?

Thank You

• bhanuGandhambhanuGandham Cambridge MAMember, Administrator, Broadie, Moderator admin

Hi @namratapatel

Please follow this doc for info on variant calling with mutect2 without matching normal and patient pairs.

Regards
    Bhanu