Heads up:
We’re moving the GATK website, docs and forum to a new platform. Read the full story and breakdown of key changes on this blog.
Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We encourage our fourm members to be more involved, jump in and help out your fellow researchers with their questions. GATK forum is a community forum and helping each other with using GATK tools and research is the cornerstone of our success as a genomics research community.We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

Need some suggestions

Sir,
Hope this mail will find you in sound. I was trying to analyse paired-end B.microti genome using BOWTIE2, SAMTOOLS, BCFTOOLS. I got a good 'Q' value in FASTQC, a very good alignment rate (~70-90%) and high sequence coverage/depth all of which suggests a very high quality of the sequence. But I got a relatively low Ts/Tv value (<1) which is unusual. Some of mentors told me that using GATK will give me higher Ts/Tv ratio. Would you please to give me some hints about this matter.
Best Regards
Zillur

Answers

• SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie admin

@zillurbmb51
    Hi Zillur,

Can you tell us a little more about how you processed your samples? Did you follow GATK Best Practices? Do you have one whole genome or one whole exome? If you are working with non-human data, is the Ti/Tv ration known to be lower in your organism?

Thanks,
    Sheila

• zillurbmb51zillurbmb51 USAMember

Thank you very much fro your kind reply. I have downloaded paired-end fast files from: http://www.ebi.ac.uk/ena/data/view/Taxon:5864&portal=read_experiment&subtree=true
    Then I aligned them using BOWTIE2 against fasta assembly, then sorted, pileup the bam file using SAMTOOLS and then used BCFTOOLS. But my Ts/Tv ratio was less then 1.(Maybe for background noise)
    I need to process the datasets(using GATK) for getting a higher Ts/Tv (at least >2) for further analysis(Some peers got ). I will also analyse other genomes of Apecomplexan.
    I did not start the best practice but if you suggest I am going to start. Maybe non-human datasets give a lower Ts/Tv but not lower than 2.