Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We encourage our fourm members to be more involved, jump in and help out your fellow researchers with their questions. GATK forum is a community forum and helping each other with using GATK tools and research is the cornerstone of our success as a genomics research community.We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.
Attention:
We will be out of the office on November 11th and 13th 2019, due to the U.S. holiday(Veteran's day) and due to a team event(Nov 13th). We will return to monitoring the GATK forum on November 12th and 14th respectively. Thank you for your patience.

GenotypeGVCFs problem with rsID

mahyarheymahyarhey BostonMember

I run the following command for "GenotypeGVCFs" for 3 VCF files output of HaplotypeCaller as below:

java data/GenomeAnalysisTK-3.2-2/GenomeAnalysisTK.jar \
-R data/ucsc.hg19.fasta \
-T GenotypeGVCFs \
--variant data/47V_post.ERC.vcf \
--variant data/48V_post.ERC.vcf \
--variant data/49V_post.ERC.vcf \
--out data/Combined_geno_3files.vcf

but in a final VCF output there is no rsID information and all rows are "."
what is the problem? I am really confused. Could you please advise how to get SNP-ID in the output VCF

Thanks

Best Answer

Answers

• KurtKurt Member ✭✭✭

I typically use VariantAnnotator after GenotypeGVCFs to do that

e.g.

$JAVA_1_7/java -jar $GATK_DIR/GenomeAnalysisTK.jar \
    -T VariantAnnotator \
    -R $REF_GENOME \
    --variant $CORE_PATH/$PROJECT/TEMP/out.vcf \
    --dbsnp $DBSNP \
    -L $CORE_PATH/$PROJECT/TEMP/out.vcf \
    -A GCContent \
    -A VariantType \
    --disable_auto_index_creation_and_locking_when_reading_rods \
    -o $CORE_PATH/$PROJECT/MULTI_SAMPLE/new.vcf

• mahyarheymahyarhey BostonMember

Thanks Kurt for your prompt reply.
    Do you know why this command "GenotypeGVCFs" can't annotate rs-ID in the final VCF? It is absolutely waste of time to run another script just to annotate SNP's rsID.
    Thanks

• KurtKurt Member ✭✭✭

@mahyarhey,

actually there is a --dbsnp flag available in GenotypeGVCFs, so that might do what you want. I think when I originally implemented this in my workflows it wasn't available and just added on VariantAnnotator afterwards. I never found it to be cumbersome.

• mahyarheymahyarhey BostonMember

Thanks both Kurt and Geraldine for informative answer!