Heads up:
We’re moving the GATK website, docs and forum to a new platform. Read the full story and breakdown of key changes on this blog.
Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We encourage our fourm members to be more involved, jump in and help out your fellow researchers with their questions. GATK forum is a community forum and helping each other with using GATK tools and research is the cornerstone of our success as a genomics research community.We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

Best practice on SRA data

giorgiopeagiorgiopea Member
edited October 2012 in Ask the GATK team

Dear all,

I'm trying to detect variants starting from the data on a few (5) SRA files downloaded from NCBI (whole genome resequencing on Illumina GA). I do not have information about lanes (each SRA file includes sequences for one individuals, with no specification of number of lanes used, at least that I know of). All libraries are paired end.

I should also point out that:

• I do not have pre-existing SNP/INDEL information for this species.
  • The reference genome is about 230 Mbp

I proceeded as follows for each SRA file (i.e. each sample):

1. extract paired reads in separate fastq files (sratoolkit)
  2. quality trim reads and keep only full pairs
  3. align and map of PE reads (bwa align + bwa sampe)
  4. fix sam file (Picard CleanSam)
  5. convert sam to bam (Picard SamFormatConverter)
  6. sort bam file and add metainfo (@RG etc.) (Picard AddOrReplaceGroups)
  7. index sorted bam file

These bam files pass Picard ValidateSamFile.

I consider these indexed bam files as "Raw reads".
In order to properly call variants with GATK, I was now trying to go from "Raw reads" to "Analysis ready reads" as specified in GATK best practices.

So far I proceeded as follows (on each sample):

1. Indel local realignment: GATK RealignerTargetCreator (without snpdb) + IndelRealigner (using .inteval file produced in previous step)
  2. Mark duplicates (Picard MarkDuplicates)

I now have a recalibrated&dedupped bam file for each sample.
What follows, before variant calling, should be Base Quality Score Recalibration (GATK BaseRecalibrator + PrintReads using recalibration data produced in the previous step).

To do this without known indels, I am planning to do as suggested in an article on Base Quality Score Recalibration in the Methods & Workflows section of the Guide (Troubleshooting paragraph, bootstrap procedure).
Namely, for each sample separately I will do an initial run of SNP calling on initial data (i.e. on realigned&dedupped bam), select hi-confidence SNPs and feed them as known SNPs (vcf file) to BaseRecalibrator + PrintReads to produce a recalibrated bam file.
Then I will do a real SNP calling (HaplotypeCaller) on the so obtained recalibrated bam files (all samples together).

My questions are:

1. Is the order of the various steps correct?
  2. Did I choose the appropriate GATK methods for these data?
  3. Is it better to perform the BQS recalibration using all data together or bam-by-bam?
  4. How do I select "hi-confidence SNPs" in the bootstrap procedure? Can anyone indicate a threshold quality for this?
  5. How can I verify "convergence" of the bootstrap procedure? At convergence should perhaps obtained SNP calls coincide with known SNPs fed to the analysis?

Sorry for the lengthy post, I'm not quite a bioinformatician, and I'd really need to be sure before proceeding further.

Thanks!

Giorgio

Post edited by giorgiopea on

Comments