Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We encourage our fourm members to be more involved, jump in and help out your fellow researchers with their questions. GATK forum is a community forum and helping each other with using GATK tools and research is the cornerstone of our success as a genomics research community.We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

Java & GATK using too many cores for calculating Depth of Coverage

Hi,

I am running GATK 2.7.2 with Java 1.7 to calculate the Depth of Coverage using the command -

java -Xmx6100m -XX:ParallelGCThreads=1 -jar /projects/GenomeAnalysisTK-2.7-4-g6f46d11//GenomeAnalysisTK.jar -nct 1 -nt 1 -T DepthOfCoverage -I /scratch/AID1234.Improved.bam -L /projects/nimblv2.EXOME.interval_list -R /projects/fasta/Human_GRC_build37_1kGproject/human_g1k_v37_Ensembl_MT_66.fasta -dt BY_SAMPLE -dcov 5000 -l INFO --omitDepthOutputAtEachBase --omitLocusTable --minBaseQuality 0 --minMappingQuality 20 --start 1 --stop 5000 --nBins 200 --includeRefNSites --countType COUNT_FRAGMENTS -o /scratch/AID1234.txt

But when I check the details of the job with top command, I can see that a total of 10 cores are being used instead of 1.

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong and how to overcome the problem.

Thanks.
Vishal

Tagged:

Answers