Complete this survey about your research needs and be entered to win an Amazon gift card or FireCloud credit.
Read more about it here!
Download the latest Picard release at https://github.com/broadinstitute/picard/releases.
GATK version 4.beta.6 is out. See the GATK4 beta page for download and details.

热烈欢迎我们的中国朋友 / A warm welcome to our Chinese friends

Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie

科研圈的亲们,我们来啦!携手国内重量级公司和机构,我们这次给大家带来了高效、规模化使用GATK的技巧!

Today we are reaching out to the Chinese research community with great news: we are partnering with key companies and institutions in China to empower Chinese researchers to use GATK effectively and at scale.

大家可能已经有所耳闻,我们开发了一整套基因组数据分析系统, 涵盖了分析工具(GATK4,即将发行),流程控制语言(WDL),以及支持多种环境下--包括本地数据中心和云计算--执行分析流程的运行核心Cromwell 。这一整合的套装是为了让生物医药研究人员可以自如的运行、重复分析流程,包括我们一直以来推崇的GATK最佳运行方案(现在我们已经发布了可以即刻使用的流程)。我们希望这一系列努力可以大大减轻之前大家设置以及运行GATK的各种困扰以及烦人的臆测。

As you may know, we have developed a "full stack" genomics solution that combines analysis tools (GATK itself, with version 4 soon to be released), a workflow definition language called WDL, and an execution engine called Cromwell that can execute pipelines in multiple environments, on-premises and on the cloud. This integrated solution aims to empower biomedical researchers to run and replicate analysis pipelines, starting with the GATK Best Practices, for which we are now publishing ready-to-use WDL workflows. We hope this will dramatically cut down on the effort -- and sometimes guesswork! -- previously involved in standing up GATK pipelines.

当然我们并没有止步于单纯的提供工具和流程软件,我们也希望能在主流云计算平台下放飞这一系列匠心独具的设计。两年前,我们在努力开发这些软件工具的伊始,也开始了与六家行业引领者的合作:因特尔,谷歌,Cloudera,亚马逊,IBM以及微软;这六家公司和我们有着同样的目标:让广大用户可以在云平台下自如的使用我们的软件。

But our goals didn't stop at just building the pipelining software -- we wanted to make sure our tools would be easy to use on any of the major public clouds. So two years ago, as we were knuckling down to the hard work of developing these software tools, we forged a partnership with six industry leaders who agreed to help us bring our solution to the Cloud -- Intel, Google, Cloudera, Amazon Web Services (AWS), IBM and Microsoft.

现在我们重磅推出与阿里云,以及华大基因的合作!阿里云是中国主要的云计算运营商,而华大是主要的基因测序中心。两家机构都认同并且愿意帮助我们实现共同的目标:为全球每一位科研人员提供最好的、可重复的基因组数据分析流程软件。巧合的是现在我们的云端服务伙伴刚刚好是幸运数字八!同时我们也在积极的与其他研究所和商业机构商洽,包括中科院北京基因组研究所、诺禾致源、浪潮集团,他们也都表示了采纳我们分析套装的兴趣。

Now, we are thrilled that Alibaba Cloud, the major cloud service provider in China, and BGI, the major sequencing service provider, are both signing on to help in the pursuit of our common goal, which is to provide top-quality, reproducible genomics pipelines to everyone in the global research community. It is a happy coincidence that this brings our fellowship of the Cloud to a lucky number eight! We are also engaging with other key companies and institutions in China, including the Beijing Institute of Genomics, Novogene and Inspur, who have expressed interest in adopting our genomics stack.

仲有!我们同时意识到对于说汉语的亲们,语言会是一个障碍,所以我们也在考虑建立一个推广项目,专门为汉语用户圈服务。这将包括汉语论坛,GATK和WDL注释文档的翻译,以及在中国开办的研讨会。这对我们来说是个挑战,但是我们乐观地相信这会给双方都带来巨大的好处和互相学习的机会。

But that's not all. We're aware that language is often an obstacle for our Chinese audience, so we are looking at options for establishing an outreach program specifically aimed at the Chinese community. This would include a Chinese-language forum, translations of the GATK and WDL documentation, as well as workshops in China. This will be a challenging new undertaking for us but I am optimistic that it will yield great benefits, as I am certain our communities have much to learn from each other.

image最后夹带一些私货:我个人很高兴看到我们能以这样的方式与中国的研究圈联系。2008年,我因为一个研究项目在位于火炉武汉的华中农业大学度过了一个夏天。华农的亲们对我的热情让我终身难忘,今日终于可以投桃报李了!

Finally, I should mention I have personal reasons for being especially pleased that we are reaching out to the Chinese research community in this way. In 2008, I spent several months living and working on a research project at Huazhong Agricultural University in Wuhan, Hubei Province, and I will never forget the wonderful welcome I was given by the staff and students at HZAU. I look forward to finally reciprocating that welcome, at scale!

无图无真相,在武汉的2008奥运会火炬传递仪式中(欢欢)
Photographic evidence… at the 2008 Olympic torch parade in Wuhan!

Many thanks to members of the Intel China team and to Steve Huang of the GATK development team for their invaluable help with the translation!

Comments