To celebrate the release of GATK 4.0, we are giving away free credits for running the GATK4 Best Practices pipelines in FireCloud, our secure online analysis portal. It’s first come first serve, so sign up now to claim your free credits worth $250. Sponsored by Google Cloud. Learn more at

Segment Mean must be finite

esalinasesalinas BroadMember, Broadie

I ran GATK4 AllelicCNV program and get an error message saying "Segment Mean must be finite." (see below)

I look at the input files I give the program and no values were listed as "Inf" or "Infinity" or "-Inf" or anything like that.
All the values I saw (sorting numerically on the column a la "sort -g" ) showed values as low as -8 or so and as high as 8 or so with most values near 0. Because I saw values in the range +/- 8 I'm confused as to the source of the error. I'm not sure if this is a bug or a known issue?

14:59:47.184 INFO  AllelicCNV - Shutting down engine
[June 20, 2017 2:59:47 PM UTC] done. Elapsed time: 0.09 minutes.
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Segment Mean must be finite.
        at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.utils.param.ParamUtils.isFinite(
        at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.utils.tsv.TableUtils$1.createRecord(
        at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.utils.tsv.TableReader.fetchNextRecord(
        at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.utils.tsv.TableReader.access$200(
        at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.utils.tsv.TableReader$1.hasNext(
        at java.util.Iterator.forEachRemaining(
        at java.util.Spliterators$IteratorSpliterator.forEachRemaining(
        at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.engine.spark.SparkCommandLineProgram.doWork(
        at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.runTool(
        at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.instanceMainPostParseArgs(
        at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.instanceMain(
        at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.Main.runCommandLineProgram(
        at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.Main.mainEntry(
        at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.Main.main(

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie

It might be a bug -- what version are you using?

• esalinasesalinas BroadMember, Broadie

@Geraldine_VdAuwera I belive this is the JAR gatk-package-4.alpha.2-1136-gc18e780-SNAPSHOT-local.jar so the committ looks to be "gc18e780"

• sleeslee Member, Broadie, Dev

@esalinas The segment means in the .seg file should be non log_2 (this is the output of the GATK CNV tool, as indicated in the javadoc), but the tangent normalized coverages in the tn.tsv should be log_2.

@shlee Perhaps it's worth making this more explicit in the javadoc.

Future versions of the CNV pipeline will only deal with raw (integer) read-count coverage and only output non log_2 copy-ratio estimates, which will hopefully prevent such sources of confusion.

Issue · Github
    by shlee

Issue Number
    Last Updated
  • esalinasesalinas BroadMember, Broadie
    edited June 2017

@slee thanks for this info that tells about the expected log-2-space-status. It would seem like any data file with a "Mean" or "Average" column with fractional values, particularly that are negative, I would guess are log2. A file with such values that are non-negative integer or have only zeroes after a decimal point I would guess are non-log-2. I can write a script that transforms a file to take log-2 or do 2^x.

• shleeshlee CambridgeMember, Broadie, Moderator

@slee, I've updated the docs.