To celebrate the release of GATK 4.0, we are giving away free credits for running the GATK4 Best Practices pipelines in FireCloud, our secure online analysis portal. It’s first come first serve, so sign up now to claim your free credits worth $250. Sponsored by Google Cloud. Learn more at

Difference in output file from Picard's MarkDuplicates

Hi, I'm working on a pipeline which takes a RNA-seq bam file and looks for overlaps using R. When I run the R script on my original BAM file it works fine, however when I run it on the bam file produced by MarkDuplicates it throws this error:

Error in $<*tmp*, "queryHits", value = integer(0)) :
replacement has 0 rows, data has 2
Calls: $<- -> $<
Execution halted

From what I can find online this means that the R script has been asked to find a variable in the file which it cannot find. The R script uses these packages: library(GenomicRanges) and library(Biostrings)
This is the section of R script which falls over:

overlaps <- findOverlaps(GRbam,GR)
printWithTimeStamp("Collating data:\n")
overs <- data.frame(NA,rownames=c(1:length(overlaps)))
printWithTimeStamp(" queryHits\n")

I included both the following options when calling MarkDuplicates to try and reduce the formatting changes in the new file:

Has anyone come across a similar issue and know what might be different in the new bam file? I've compared both the headers and the only difference is that the original file has @HD:VN 1.0, while the MarkDuplicates output has @HD:VN 1.5. Could this be the issue? I can't find much online about the differences.
Please feel free to ask for more information if I haven't been clear.

Best Answer

• RachelM42RachelM42 Member
    Accepted Answer

Problem solved! I had the input and output as the same name (to try to reduce the effect on the rest of the pipeline), but I changed the output name and just had to deal with altering the pipeline as such, and it seems to be working fine now!