Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

-maxAltAlleles argument ignored in HC and genotypeGVCFs in GATK-3.7?

sailercsailerc ETHZMember

Hi there
I have a similiar issue as described here:
http://gatkforums.broadinstitute.org/gatk/discussion/5111/haplotypecaller-pooled-sequence-problem

I am using GATK version 3.7-0-gcfedb67 on poolseq data. I have 60 chromosomes per pool and calculated that the maximum genotype count should be 31470 when considering 3 alternate alleles.
The combination of -maxGT 31470 -maxNumPLValues 31470 -maxAltAlleles 3 works fine in HaplotypeCaller. However, running those output gvcfs in genotypeGVCFs with the same parameters I receive this error:

ERROR MESSAGE: the number of genotypes is too large for ploidy 60 and allele 9: approx. 7392009768

The programme considers 9 alleles although I have set -maxAltAlleles 3 explicitly, which should be 5 alleles including the reference and symbolic non-ref allele.

Any ideas why this is happening or tips how I can fix this?

thanks
christian

Best Answer

Answers

• SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie, Moderator admin

@sailerc
    Hi Christian,

I may need you to submit a bug report. First, can you confirm this happens with the latest nightly build?

Thanks,
    Sheila

• sailercsailerc ETHZMember

Hi Sheila,
    Thank you for the response. I just ran a small region with the latest nightly build (nightly-2017-06-07-g54ff871, version 3.7-0-gcfedb67) and obtained the same error.
    I prepared the folder for the bug report and will continue to try to login and upload the folder.
    christian

Hi there
    I am trying to log into the server to upload my bug report as described in Article#1894 but was unable to do so for several days. Any other possibilities to submit the bug report?
    christian

@sailerc
    Hi Christian,

Hmm. Sorry you are having such trouble. Can you try a few more times? If it does not work (are you getting a "time out" error?), is the folder small enough to upload to this thread?

Thanks,
    Sheila

Hi Sheila,
    I am getting this error
    530 Sorry, max 20 users -- try again later
    Yesterday I could log in but when I wanted to move the file over, I was asked for the pw again and was kicked out. My tarzipped file might also be too big, 1.1GB as I had to add our reference fasta file.
    christian

Hi Sheila
    I uploaded my bug report:
    sailerc_maxAltAlleles.tar.gz

christian

Issue · Github
    by Sheila

Issue Number
    State
    closed
    Last Updated
    Assignee
    Array
    Milestone
    Array
    Closed By
    chandrans

@sailerc
    Hi Christian,

Yes, I see a few other users had issues that were resolved today. Sorry for the trouble, but thanks for submitting! I think we are moving to a new system for bug reports, but I am not sure when it will be ready for use.

I will have a look soon.

-Sheila