Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We encourage our fourm members to be more involved, jump in and help out your fellow researchers with their questions. GATK forum is a community forum and helping each other with using GATK tools and research is the cornerstone of our success as a genomics research community.We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

Picard SortVcf fail for no reason ?

alaabadrealaabadre FranceMember

Hello,

• Command line(s) you ran:
    java -jar picard.jar SortVcf I=cosmic/cosmic.vcf O=cosmic/cosmic.srt.vcf SD=reference/GRCh38.d1.vd1.dict

• Program console output and metrics files. Repetitive console output may be abbreviated
    This is the error:
    INFO...
    INFO 2017-05-29 14:06:07 SortVcf read 18,475,000 records. Elapsed time: 00:00:49s. Time for last 25,000: 0s. Last read position: chrX:31,147,476
    INFO 2017-05-29 14:06:07 SortVcf read 18,500,000 records. Elapsed time: 00:00:49s. Time for last 25,000: 0s. Last read position: chrX:34,703,820
    [Mon May 29 14:06:07 CEST 2017] picard.vcf.SortVcf done. Elapsed time: 0.83 minutes.
    Runtime.totalMemory()=2360868864
    To get help, see http://broadinstitute.github.io/picard/index.html#GettingHelp
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException
    at htsjdk.variant.variantcontext.VariantContextComparator.compare(VariantContextComparator.java:87)
    at htsjdk.variant.variantcontext.VariantContextComparator.compare(VariantContextComparator.java:22)
    at java.util.TimSort.countRunAndMakeAscending(TimSort.java:360)
    at java.util.TimSort.sort(TimSort.java:234)
    at java.util.Arrays.sort(Arrays.java:1512)
    at htsjdk.samtools.util.SortingCollection.spillToDisk(SortingCollection.java:219)
    at htsjdk.samtools.util.SortingCollection.add(SortingCollection.java:166)
    at picard.vcf.SortVcf.sortInputs(SortVcf.java:168)
    at picard.vcf.SortVcf.doWork(SortVcf.java:101)
    at picard.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.instanceMain(CommandLineProgram.java:205)
    at picard.cmdline.PicardCommandLine.instanceMain(PicardCommandLine.java:94)
    at picard.cmdline.PicardCommandLine.main(PicardCommandLine.java:104)

• Version of JVM you are using (obtained by running 'java -version'):
    openjdk version "1.8.0_121"
    OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_121-8u121-b13-0ubuntu1.16.04.2-b13)
    OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.121-b13, mixed mode)

I am using the reference from TCGA: https://gdc.cancer.gov/about-data/data-harmonization-and-generation/gdc-reference-files but because COSMIC and that reference have different contigs, I had to use picard SortVcf so that I can, hopefully, resolve this problem.

I have no idea why the SortVcf is suddenly stopping without giving any reasonable errors. Can you guys help me figure it out ?

Thanks a bunch !

Best Answer

Answers