Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We encourage our fourm members to be more involved, jump in and help out your fellow researchers with their questions. GATK forum is a community forum and helping each other with using GATK tools and research is the cornerstone of our success as a genomics research community.We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

Oncotator Errno28

mfjonesmfjones ChicagoMember

I am using oncotator v.1.9.2.0 to annotate a VCF with whole-genome variants from 8 samples. This is the command I am using:
oncotator -v -i VCF --skip-no-alt --db-dir $DIR/oncotator_v1_ds_Jan262015 $DIR/VQSR/recalibrated_variants.vcf \
oncotated_variants.tsv hg19
Where $DIR is my project directory.

Oncotator runs happily for about an hour, but then throws this error:

2017-05-26 15:36:32,355 INFO [oncotator.output.TcgaMafOutputRenderer:330] Rendered 4368000 mutations.
2017-05-26 15:36:33,161 INFO [oncotator.output.TcgaMafOutputRenderer:330] Rendered 4369000 mutations.
2017-05-26 15:36:33,959 INFO [oncotator.output.TcgaMafOutputRenderer:330] Rendered 4370000 mutations.
2017-05-26 15:36:34,656 ERROR [oncotator.output.TcgaMafOutputRenderer:333] Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/oncotator/output/TcgaMafOutputRenderer.py", line 325, in renderMutations
    self._writeMutationRow(dw, field_map, field_map_keys, m)
  File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/oncotator/output/TcgaMafOutputRenderer.py", line 231, in _writeMutationRow
    dw.writerow(row)
  File "/apps/software/gcc-4.9.4/python/2.7.6/lib/python2.7/csv.py", line 148, in writerow
    return self.writer.writerow(self._dict_to_list(rowdict))
IOError: [Errno 28] No space left on device

2017-05-26 15:36:34,656 ERROR [oncotator.output.TcgaMafOutputRenderer:334] Error at mutation 4370819 ['12', '46405050', '46405050', 'C', 'T']:
2017-05-26 15:36:34,656 ERROR [oncotator.output.TcgaMafOutputRenderer:335] Incomplete: rendered 4370819 mutations.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/michaeldrazer/godley-lab/CHEK2/CHEK2_WGS/venv/bin/oncotator", line 11, in <module>
    load_entry_point('Oncotator==1.9.1.0', 'console_scripts', 'oncotator')()
  File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/oncotator/Oncotator.py", line 309, in main
  File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/oncotator/Annotator.py", line 437, in annotate
  File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/oncotator/output/TcgaMafOutputRenderer.py", line 337, in renderMutations
IOError: [Errno 28] No space left on device

I have over 5TB of storage available, so I know it's not a lack of hard drive space. I have tried running with 1TB of memory, so it's probably not a RAM shortage. I think the oncotator python scripts might be writing to a relatively small tmp root partition, but I'm not sure how to check that or change it if that is the case. This is being done on a computing cluster to which I do not have root priveleges. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Issue · Github
by Sheila

Issue Number
State
closed
Last Updated
Assignee
Array
Closed By
chandrans

Comments

• SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie admin

@mfjones
    Hi,

I have asked one of the developers to respond. He should get back to you soon.

-Sheila

• mfjonesmfjones ChicagoMember

Hello, have you guys made any progress on this?
    Thanks!

@mfjones
    Hi,

Sorry for the delay. I just pinged the developer. He should get back to you asap, but please post again if you do not get a response within the next few days.

-Sheila

• mfjonesmfjones ChicagoMember

Checking in again. Any word from the developer?
    Thanks

@mfjones
    Hi,

Sorry for the delay. I just pinged him again. I will ask someone else as well.

-Sheila

• LeeTL1220LeeTL1220 Arlington, MAMember, Broadie, Dev ✭✭✭

@mfjones Sorry for the late reply... Ideas:

• If I'm reading your command line properly, your output file is not going to $DIR. Does this matter?
    • Oncotator is writing a fairly large intermediate temp file. Perhaps the temp dir is mounted on a different file system that is smaller? In unix, you can change your temp file location by setting an environment variable (`TMPDIR``) to the desired location. If you set that to a filesystem with more space, this should work.
    • There is a small possibility that Oncotator is writing the big temp file to the local directory. You should see that if it is the case. I would consider that a bug, but in the meantime, it would be easy to work around.