To celebrate the release of GATK 4.0, we are giving away free credits for running the GATK4 Best Practices pipelines in FireCloud, our secure online analysis portal. It’s first come first serve, so sign up now to claim your free credits worth $250. Sponsored by Google Cloud. Learn more at

GATK HaplotypeCaller does not forward @PG BAM header lines to -bamout

Hey GATK Devs!

I'm using GATK (v3.7-0-gcfedb67, Compiled 2016/12/12 11:21:18) to call SNPs and Indels on a single sample. The reads were aligned with BWA (v0.7.12) and duplicates marked with Picard MarkDuplicates (v2.0.1). I run GATK HC to completion without issue (command-line parameters reported below); however, when I merge the -bamout output BAM files with samtools (v1.3.1), samtools issues the following warning:

[bam_translate] PG tag "MarkDuplicates" on read "HS1:152:C0HBWACXX:5:1202:17823:110576" encountered with no corresponding entry in header, tag lost. Unknown tags are only reported once per input file for each tag ID.

The output BAM files indeed lack any @PG lines in the headers, but preserve the PG:Z: tags on the reads. Is this intended?

The options to GATK I issued were:

-T HaplotypeCaller -R genome.fasta -L genome.00001.bed -mmq 25 -mbq 30 -ERC BP_RESOLUTION -I -o proper.00001.g.vcf.gz -bamout proper.00001.g.bam

Issue · Github
by Geraldine_VdAuwera

Issue Number
Last Updated
Closed By

Best Answers