Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We encourage our fourm members to be more involved, jump in and help out your fellow researchers with their questions. GATK forum is a community forum and helping each other with using GATK tools and research is the cornerstone of our success as a genomics research community.We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

Applying GATK to microbiome data

confuriousconfurious CaliforniaMember

Hi, I am interested in knowing how to apply gatk tools to microbiome data. Specifically, I would like to override the assumption of ploidy in the HaplotypeCaller and making it flexible, in that one sample could have a unknown number of haplotypes at the same time, I know somatic mutation caller Mutect2 does not share the assumption but then it's designed to specifically deal with normal - tumor sample pair which is not really applicable in the microbiome studies. Thanks

Issue · Github
by shlee

Issue Number
State
closed
Last Updated
Closed By
droazen

Answers

• shleeshlee CambridgeMember, Broadie ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

Hi @confurious, I'll let our MuTect developers know that this is a feature of interest to the microbiome community. Btw, the MuTect2 tool doc says:

Tumor-only variant calling is possible but it is NOT supported and we will not answer any questions about it until it becomes a supported feature.

• davidbendavidben BostonMember, Broadie, Dev ✭✭✭

@confurious This has been on the shelf for a while but we're starting to support more off-label uses of Mutect2. I would be very curious to see how well simply running in tumor-only mode works. I would also be interested to know what sorts of new features and outputs in Mutect2 you might want to see for microbiome calling.