Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We encourage our fourm members to be more involved, jump in and help out your fellow researchers with their questions. GATK forum is a community forum and helping each other with using GATK tools and research is the cornerstone of our success as a genomics research community.We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

Missing gentoypes despite high number of reads

JoanaMJoanaM BernMember

Dear GATK-team

GenotypeGVCFs, sets all genotypes as missing for a large part of a gene I am interested in, even though there seem to be lots of reads in all individuals for those sites. I have the same problem if I am using versions 3.5 or 3.7. It also makes no difference if HaplotypeCaller was run with -ERC BP_Resolution or the standard GVCF, or if I run GenotypeGVCFs on just one individual or many at once. Could it be related to the fact that this is a mitochondrial region and thus has higher sequencing depth and theoretically no heterozygote positions?

Here is an example of the vcf file produced by GenotypeGVCFs:
chrM 16758 . A . 67.16 . DP=14015 GT:AD:DP ./.:444,9:453 ./.:257,0:257 (...)

In the g.vcf file of the first individual this site looks like this (the 9 alternative allele reads are likely contamination):
chrM 16758 . A . . . GT:AD:DP:GQ:PL 0/0:444,9:453:0:0,0,0

And in the second individual g.vcf:
chrM 16758 . A . . . GT:AD:DP:GQ:PL 0/0:257,0:257:0:0,0,0

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Many thanks!

Answers

• SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie admin

@JoanaM
    Hi,

The reason they are being set to no-calls is that the GQs are all 0. Notice the PLs are all 0. Can you post IGV screenshots of the original BAM file and bamout file? Please include ~300 bases before and after the site of interest.

Thanks,
    Sheila