To celebrate the release of GATK 4.0, we are giving away free credits for running the GATK4 Best Practices pipelines in FireCloud, our secure online analysis portal. It’s first come first serve, so sign up now to claim your free credits worth $250. Sponsored by Google Cloud. Learn more at

How does the BwaSpark in GATK4 control the number of threads?

cattlecattle ChinaMember

I tried to ERR000589 process data with BwaSpark. The bam file size is 1.3G. The average time spent is about 25 min (5 nodes).
However it would only cost 5 min in processing same data if I tried to use original C bwa with 32 threads.
Base on this observation, I have several questions list as follow:
1. If there is anything wrong with my params?
2. For each Partition, is BwaSpark running in multi-thread mode?
3. How to control the number of the bwa threads inside BwaSpark?

The running command is:
./gatk-launch BwaSpark -I hdfs:///user/XX/ERR000589/ERR000589.bam -O hdfs:///user/XX/ERR000589/ERR000589_bwa.bam -R hdfs:///user/xx/refs/ucsc.hg19.fasta --bwamemIndexImage ~/data/ref/ucsc.hg19.img -disableSequenceDictionaryValidation true -- --sparkRunner SPARK --sparkMaster --executor-cores 1 --total-executor-cores 16 --executor-memory 4G

I tried to further adjust the following parameters,
--executor-cores --total-executor-cores --executor-memory --driver-memory
but none of these took less time than 16 min

Besides, I alsow tried to run it in local mode, while it won't end successfully. It seems that CPU was in endless waiting. I guess it occupied so much memory that the swap space is in use? Pic 1 shows the memory consumed while running
This time, the command is:
./gatk-launch BwaSpark -I hdfs:///user/XX/ERR000589/ERR000589.bam -O hdfs:///user/xx/ERR000589/ERR000589.bwa.bam -R /software/home/xx/data/ref/ucsc.hg19.fasta \ --bwamemIndexImage ~/data/ref/ucsc.hg19.img -disableSequenceDictionaryValidation true -- --sparkRunner SPARK --sparkMaster local[*] --total-executor-cores 8 --executor-memory 20G --driver-memory 30G

BTW, the testing environment is:
CPU 2 X 8 physical core
node: 5
network: GBE
memory: 64G