Attention:
The frontline support team will be unavailable to answer questions on April 15th and 17th 2019. We will be back soon after. Thank you for your patience and we apologize for any inconvenience!

Is there Java version compatibility table, and can I download old versions of jar file?

otiai10otiai10 Tokyo, JapanMember

Thank you all for great software and active community.

I'm trying to install and use but I faced a problem which someone already faced:

Thanks to them, I made it on my local, but on the other hand I can't change Java version in some environments (shared server for instance).
Then, let me ask 2 questions.

1. Is it possible to download old versions of jar file?
  2. Is there any table for compatibility between GATK version and Java version?
    • so that we can understand which version of Java (or GATK) we should prepare

Best Answer

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MA admin
    Accepted Answer
    In the download section there is a page dedicated to archived versions; you can download all past 2.x and 3.x versions. We don't have a compatibility table but if I recall correctly we switch to Java 8 in version 3.5.

That said I wouldn't recommend using an old version just because of Java; you would miss out on many improvements. Instead I would suggest speaking to the system administrator about providing multiple versions of Java. This is technically possible on most modern systems.

Answers

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie admin
    Accepted Answer
    In the download section there is a page dedicated to archived versions; you can download all past 2.x and 3.x versions. We don't have a compatibility table but if I recall correctly we switch to Java 8 in version 3.5.

That said I wouldn't recommend using an old version just because of Java; you would miss out on many improvements. Instead I would suggest speaking to the system administrator about providing multiple versions of Java. This is technically possible on most modern systems.
  • otiai10otiai10 Tokyo, JapanMember

Thank you very much! and sorry I overlooked archived versions.

Yep, I already did and also found workaround to switch Java path :)

Thank you again for your help. :+1: