Holiday Notice:
The Frontline Support team will be slow to respond December 17-18 due to an institute-wide retreat and offline December 22- January 1, while the institute is closed. Thank you for your patience during these next few weeks. Happy Holidays!

Is there Java version compatibility table, and can I download old versions of jar file?

otiai10otiai10 Tokyo, JapanMember

Thank you all for great software and active community.

I'm trying to install and use but I faced a problem which someone already faced:

Thanks to them, I made it on my local, but on the other hand I can't change Java version in some environments (shared server for instance).
Then, let me ask 2 questions.

1. Is it possible to download old versions of jar file?
  2. Is there any table for compatibility between GATK version and Java version?
    • so that we can understand which version of Java (or GATK) we should prepare

Best Answer

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MA admin
    Accepted Answer
    In the download section there is a page dedicated to archived versions; you can download all past 2.x and 3.x versions. We don't have a compatibility table but if I recall correctly we switch to Java 8 in version 3.5.

That said I wouldn't recommend using an old version just because of Java; you would miss out on many improvements. Instead I would suggest speaking to the system administrator about providing multiple versions of Java. This is technically possible on most modern systems.

Answers

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie admin
    Accepted Answer
    In the download section there is a page dedicated to archived versions; you can download all past 2.x and 3.x versions. We don't have a compatibility table but if I recall correctly we switch to Java 8 in version 3.5.

That said I wouldn't recommend using an old version just because of Java; you would miss out on many improvements. Instead I would suggest speaking to the system administrator about providing multiple versions of Java. This is technically possible on most modern systems.
  • otiai10otiai10 Tokyo, JapanMember

Thank you very much! and sorry I overlooked archived versions.

Yep, I already did and also found workaround to switch Java path :)

Thank you again for your help. :+1: