To celebrate the release of GATK 4.0, we are giving away free credits for running the GATK4 Best Practices pipelines in FireCloud, our secure online analysis portal. It’s first come first serve, so sign up now to claim your free credits worth $250. Sponsored by Google Cloud. Learn more at

Memory setting issue in CNV calling pipeline step 2: SVAltAlign

I failed in running CNV calling step 2: SVAltAlign, probably because of the memory setting issue.
Even though the "-lsfMemLimit 128" is specified in the command, which is:

"java -Xmx128g -cp ${classpath} \
org.broadinstitute.gatk.queue.QCommandLine \
-S ${SV_DIR}/qscript/SVAltAlign.q \
-S ${SV_DIR}/qscript/SVQScript.q \
-cp ${classpath} \
-gatk ${SV_DIR}/lib/gatk/GenomeAnalysisTK.jar \
-configFile ${SV_DIR}/conf/genstrip_parameters.txt \
-genomeMaskFile ${cwd}/Homo_sapiens_assembly38.mask.101.fasta \
-vcf ${vcf} \
-R ${ref} \
-I ${bam_list} \
-md ${metadata_dir} \
-jobLogDir ${log_dir} \
**-lsfMemLimit 128 **

The error message is:

"ERROR 16:28:28,640 FunctionEdge - Error: 'java' '-Xmx2048m' '-XX:+UseParallelOldGC' '-XX:ParallelGCThreads=4' '-XX:GCTimeLimit=50' '-XX:GCHeapFreeLimit=10'
INFO 16:28:28,710 QGraph - 35 Pend, 0 Run, 1 Fail, 3 Done"

It seems the "-lsfMemLimit 128" parameter is not passed to java command, which is still "-Xmx2048".

How could I fix this issue?

Issue · Github
by Sheila

Issue Number
Last Updated
Closed By

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie

Hi Peter, I've moved your question to the GenomeStrip forum since this is not our domain. @bhandsaker may be able to help you.

• bhandsakerbhandsaker Member, Broadie, Moderator

Two responses:
    First, with modern sequencing data you should not be using SVAltAlign, there is no need for this step. Consider it deprecated.
    Second, your specific question is about -lsfMemLimit. This controls the total memory request to LSF for your job. If you want to increase the maximum java heap size, use -memLimit.
    Also note that -lsfMemLimit only applies to LSF7. If you are not using LSF7, use -jobNative to control your job settings such as memory reservation if you need to override the defaults.